fail to start any virtual machine

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ang

fail to start any virtual machine

Post by ang »

I receive this message for any virtual machine, even if it is new and empty
vbox version 5.1.14, Windows 7 x64 sp1, Intel i5 virtualization enabled

The virtual machine 'll' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\user\VirtualBox VMs\ll\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Codice 'uscita:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Componente:
MachineWrap
Interfaccia:
IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
log
(17.12 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: fail to start any virtual machine

Post by socratis »

Try to uninstall your Comodo Antivirus. See if that fixes it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ang

Post by ang »

it was comodo firewall,

however, same problem after uninstalling, new log attached
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
new log
(15.71 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
ang

Post by ang »

anyone can help me?
I tried an old version of Vbox 5.0.4. It works but however, the window of the virtualized machine is very very small and it is automatically resized every time I try to enlarge, for both windows and linux OS.
the full screen crash the virtual machine

Can it be the video drivers of windows 7 64 bit?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I see an error on 'user32.dll', an important Windows file. Possibly a bad update, possibly a theme hack.

Open a Run-As-Administrator command prompt and run the command sfc /scannow
ang

Post by ang »

C:\Users\user>sfc /scannow
[translated with google]

Booting up the analysis of the system. Wait for. This will take some minutes.

Booting up the analysis phase of the verification system.
100% of the completed verification.

damaged files found and restored by Windows Resource Protection.
Details are available in the file CBS.log windir \ Logs \ CBS \ CBS.log. i.e.
C: \ Windows \ Logs \ CBS \ CBS.log

Changes made with the restoration of the system files become effective
after the restart.
ang

Post by ang »

after restart, same problem :-(
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Another log, please. We need to see if anything changed.
ang

Post by ang »

there was not theme hack or else
windows 7 x64 sp1 fresh install, only few updates
It worked for a very long time on this pc and this OS, after reinstallation of all, I have this issue

this is the new log with virtual box 5.1.14
it works with old vbox 5.0.32, however the window of the virtual machine is automatically resized in a very small one
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
new log
(15.71 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm quite certain that you do in fact have a hacked theme manager installed, whether or not you actually installed a non standard theme.
ang

Post by ang »

I am quite certain that the theme is the standard windows 7 aero. I have not installed and I can not observe any customization (theme or other things).
In addition, I disabled windows aero aspect to obtain the old win98-like aspect. No amelioration was observed

I think that the only difference between now and the old installation is the video driver. I did not find the old drivers found in the commercial box. I installed very recent drivers (updated last Jannuary) from website.
I swear to have used the same DVD for the installation of Windows 7 x64 sp1, although I am not sure to have updated the same windows packages.
Of course I installed several softwares other than virtual box. I think that the installed software are the same, although I am not sure on the same version.

However, please consider that the old version of Vbox works, only the size of the virtual machines is a problem.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It would be worth-while to see if you can put a different hard drive in your host PC and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on that host (no need to activate yet), copy the guest over then install Virtualbox on it and see if you can get the guest to boot. If it does boot, then your original host OS has an issue & needs to be cleaned up.

Almost all of the folks who report hardening problems on their OSs have installed some software that is not signed or hacks Windows files to work, which throws off the security hardening that Virtualbox needs to run safely. I say "almost" because I haven't read every report, but all the reports I have read have this one common problem mentioned. It isn't likely that your host is an exception. A test of a fresh OS and Virtualbox would help identify the problem on your host.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

ang wrote: I tried an old version of Vbox 5.0.4. It works but however, the window of the virtualized machine is very very small and it is automatically resized every time I try to enlarge, for both windows and linux OS.
If I recall correctly, this issue should have been resolved by the "sfc /scannow". Try downgrading to 5.0.4 again and see if Virtualbox starts. If it does then maybe a change in the security hardening has highlighted an issue that wasn't highlighted before.
ang

Post by ang »

scottgus1 wrote:It would be worth-while to see if you can put a different hard drive in your host PC and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on that host (no need to activate yet), copy the guest over then install Virtualbox on it and see if you can get the guest to boot. If it does boot, then your original host OS has an issue & needs to be cleaned up.

Almost all of the folks who report hardening problems on their OSs have installed some software that is not signed or hacks Windows files to work, which throws off the security hardening that Virtualbox needs to run safely. I say "almost" because I haven't read every report, but all the reports I have read have this one common problem mentioned. It isn't likely that your host is an exception. A test of a fresh OS and Virtualbox would help identify the problem on your host.
well, I don't know if it could be usefull but I use a dual boot with linux and there vbox works perfectly.
I considered another installation of Windows, indeed I created another primary partition on the same hdd. When I will have some spare hours I will try. However, please consider that Virtual box was one of the first software I installed on this new windows after drivers, office 360, adobe DC, and comodo firewall.

I suspect the software managing video drivers, that was not present in the old installation.
ang

Post by ang »

scottgus1 wrote:
ang wrote: I tried an old version of Vbox 5.0.4. It works but however, the window of the virtualized machine is very very small and it is automatically resized every time I try to enlarge, for both windows and linux OS.
If I recall correctly, this issue should have been resolved by the "sfc /scannow". Try downgrading to 5.0.4 again and see if Virtualbox starts. If it does then maybe a change in the security hardening has highlighted an issue that wasn't highlighted before.
I am using 5.0.32 now and works as above mentioned. Windows size issue. Sfc did not solve this issue