Windows 10 Build 15019 Killed by Client Additions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wye
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Windows 10 Build 15019 Killed by Client Additions

Post by wye »

I'm running VBox 5.0.32 and it's Client Additions.

In my experience, this Build of Windows 10 gets killed by Client Additions.
More specifically, it's the Video Driver installed by the Client Additions.
Uninstalling that driver may cure the ills.
Also, reducing resolution during Recovery helps.

There may be other factors at work

There is a Microsoft Basic video driver that is used when you uninstall the VBox Video Driver. It works!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 Build 15019 Killed by Client Additions

Post by BillG »

No guarantee that it will work any better, but if you are trying to run the latest Insider build of Windows 10 as a vm you should be using the latest VirtualBox release.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Just to add to what BillG said, sometimes with Win10 it's even wiser if someone uses the Test Builds (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds). And wait a week or two after the latest MS beta update. Just to give some time to react to the latest "changes" by Microsoft's new toy. It's not the dev's sole purpose in life, there are other pending issues that need attention...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ben.Hahlen
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: Windows, OEL, Fedora

Post by Ben.Hahlen »

Windows 10 Insider Builds and the Guest Additions (specifically: the video driver) have been causing issues for a while now.
There are a number of threads on it, with this one being the longest and one with a number of solutions.
Unfortunately, uninstalling the driver, disabling 3D only works on the first reboot. All the other times I have to start up in "Low Resolution Mode".
This is a GA-Problem, and one that has been reported before, but seems to be ignored by Oracle Devs.

PS: I am on the latest VB with the latest GA installed.

PPS: Just installed the latest Test-version of GA and with 3D Acceleration disabled, it seems to work pretty wel now.
StanT

Post by StanT »

If you're using the 5.1.x series, try guest additions 5.1.x revision 113104 (or later) from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds. It fixes a problem with the display driver, see https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15973 . I have Windows 10 15019 working fine on VB 5.1.10.
wye
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by wye »

Ben.Hahlen wrote:Windows 10 Insider Builds and the Guest Additions (specifically: the video driver) have been causing issues for a while now.
There are a number of threads on it, with this one being the longest and one with a number of solutions.
Unfortunately, uninstalling the driver, disabling 3D only works on the first reboot. All the other times I have to start up in "Low Resolution Mode".
This is a GA-Problem, and one that has been reported before, but seems to be ignored by Oracle Devs.

PS: I am on the latest VB with the latest GA installed.

PPS: Just installed the latest Test-version of GA and with 3D Acceleration disabled, it seems to work pretty wel now.
I'm still running VB 5.0.32 r112930 and have had problems with GA (specifically: the video driver) ever since Build 15002.
I've found that uninstalling AND DELETING the GA video driver works across boots. (it MUST be deleted or it simply re-installs)

However, I just installed Win 10 Build 15031 on a VM running at 1024x768 and of course, with the GA driver installed, the boot crashed.
The odd thing was that another Win 10 VM running at 995x739 successfully installed Build 15031 without problem.
The interesting thing I've found is that the problem seems to be resolution-sensitive.
Taking the debugging option in Win 10 and choosing 'reduced resolution' allowed it to boot rather 'normally' with the GA driver installed.
I then re-sized the screen to 994 x 739 and re-booted and the boot was normal! It had refused to boot at 1024 x 768.

I don't know if this is a helpful clue or not but FWIW, this works for me. My REAL video card is a RADEON HD 6450.
I wonder if the VBox video memory limit of 128MB is unrealistically small but I'm decidedly NOT expert in matters video.

I've seen suggestions involving VBox 5.1 but the caveats and my array of VMs have made me nervous about going to a "beta" version.
Perhaps the caveats have made too big an impression on me???

FWIW...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

wye wrote:the caveats and my array of VMs have made me nervous
There's much less nervousness when you have a safety net. See Moving a VM and re-interpret it as "Backing Up a VM".