XP Vga only after guest additions installation

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wolfenstein

XP Vga only after guest additions installation

Post by wolfenstein »

Hello,

I have following problem:

without guest installed I get VGA with 32bit in 1024, but it keeps asking for a video driver.
with guest install I only get 16 colour VGA in 640.

I cannot get it to run 32bit in 1024 without problems. What is missing?

This is my system:

Windows 10
i5 4x 3300mhz
12 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 530 onboard

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Wolf
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: XP Vga only after guest additions installation

Post by socratis »

With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the "VBox.log" (just the first one), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wolfenstein

Post by wolfenstein »

Here it is.
Attachments
WolfgangPC-2017-01-15-11-33-48.zip
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by socratis on 15. Jan 2017, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Somebody has really been messing with those graphics modes. I see at one point that a 16bpp mode has been selected - neither VirtualBox nor the XP guest would ever choose such a mode itself. Usually that mode gets chosen because a user didn't understand that 16bpp is not the same as 16 color mode. 16bpp gives 2^16 colors = 65536 colors. 16 color mode is 4bpp.

If you want acceptable performance, especially since you also enabled 3D acceleration, then the XP guest must use the same color depth as the host. That almost certainly means a 32bpp mode.

Note that installing/uninstalling the Guest Additions will not have any useful effect here. The XP guest remembers the previous mode for every device, so as soon as you reinstall the VBox GAs, XP will revert to the mode last used for the GAs.

I would disable 3D acceleration for now, install the GAs, then choose a sensible video mode while the GAs are active. I.e. a 32bpp color mode.