How to hide/remove entire windows frame in Windows guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
lilbiscuit

How to hide/remove entire windows frame in Windows guest

Post by lilbiscuit »

I would like to run my Windows guest (running in Windows 10 host) in a frameless window where the Windows Title bar and frame border are hidden. Is this possible?

I already know how to hide the status bar and menu bar.

Seamless mode is not what I want either.

I have tried numerous hacks but they all fall short and VBox doesn't cooperate with other programs on the host messing with the guest window.

In a perfect world, the title bar and frame would be auto hide (just like a windows task bar when set to auto hide), but I would settle with either a permanent setting or resizable 1px frame or something similar.

I just want the guest to float without any evidence that it's in a window.

Can it be done?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to hide/remove entire windows frame in Windows guest

Post by socratis »

lilbiscuit wrote:I just want the guest to float without any evidence that it's in a window.
The closest you're going to get to that is either seamless mode or full screen.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lilbiscuit

Post by lilbiscuit »

Yeah that doesn't work. The guest will be displaying a 16:9 flash video app that's full screen within the client.

My display is 21:9 and so I want this guest window to take the full height with no title bar or frame/border.

There's gotta be a way :shock:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Not to any standard windowed application I'm familiar with. Do you have an example of an application behaving the way that you describe?
  2. Why don't you take the guest full screen? It's already going to be playing a video full screen in any event...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lilbiscuit

Post by lilbiscuit »

1. I have not found anything yet
2. The display is wider than the full guest will be when display 16:9 video, and other content from the host will be displayed in the extra space.
Last edited by socratis on 12. Jan 2017, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you take the guest seamless and figure out how to play the video in the guest without a window border, then you might be able to expand the guest video fullscreen in the guest and have the extra screen space still available in the host.

Virtualbox does not provide a way to not have the window border around a non-fullscreen/seamless guest. More like you'd need to hack the host OS to allow not having a border on desired or all windows.
lilbiscuit

Post by lilbiscuit »

scottgus1 wrote:If you take the guest seamless and figure out how to play the video in the guest without a window border, then you might be able to expand the guest video fullscreen in the guest and have the extra screen space still available in the host.
Full screen in seamless mode takes up the full screen in the host, so the rest of the host space is just empty (black) display area from the guest. Maybe thre's a hidden setting that could be set via command line??? :?: :idea:
scottgus1 wrote:Virtualbox does not provide a way to not have the window border around a non-fullscreen/seamless guest. More like you'd need to hack the host OS to allow not having a border on desired or all windows.
Tried a few hacks. :x When trying to manipulate that guest window frame from the host via an AutoHotKey script I could make the title bar and border disappear, but VBox didn't recognize the correct/new window size, and so there was empty space where title bar was. It simply would not resize properly.

Also, I tried to use a script to position the guest window with a negative X value so that the title bar was pushed up past the top of the host viewport. That actually works to hide the titlebar and position the guest window content at (0,0). Unfortunately, when I go full screen on the guest VBox won't allow the guest window to be larger than the host viewport, so it pulls the guest back down part of the way (half the title bar shows).
lilbiscuit

Post by lilbiscuit »

scottgus1 wrote:If you take the guest seamless and figure out how to play the video in the guest without a window border, then you might be able to expand the guest video fullscreen in the guest and have the extra screen space still available in the host.
OK ...There is a setting in Preferences > Display > Maximum Guest Screen Size that is showing some promise in seamless mode...but so far the guest is centered in the host and I haven't been able to get the guest to go 100% of the host height.

So now the questions are:

1. How to position a seamless guess that's less than full width of the host
2. How to force seamless guest to take up full height of the host

:?
oivindsyversen

Post by oivindsyversen »

After adding the screen resolution of my laptop, running the following commands in cmd from C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any

VBoxManage setextradata "WinDev1702Eval" "CustomVideoMode1" "1366x768x32"

VBoxManage controlvm "WinDev1702Eval" setvideomodehint 1366 768 32

full-screen mode hides/removes entire windows frame in my windows guest (WinDev1702Eval). EDIT: After choosing this resolution, that now is available, under advanced display settings on guest. END OF EDIT.

My only issue is that the host menu bar, suddenly – as of today, started showing when running guest in full-screen mode. The host menu bar just lays on top of guest menu bar.

Any suggestions on how to hide the host menu bar when running guest in full-screen mode would be much appreciated(?).