Virtualbox will not connect wireless adapter

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Kaydc

Virtualbox will not connect wireless adapter

Post by Kaydc »

Hello Everybody, and thank you in advance for the help. Long story short, I have tried every trick in the book to try and get my ALFA Atheros ar9271 chip card to connect to virtualbox (5.1.12), and more specifically, be used within Kali Linux. I had it working for one day and then all of a sudden it just stopped. The adapter works just fine on my host computer (windows 10) but virtual box will not pick it up. When I start the Kali VM, neither my host machine (which is normal because the usb filter should have the vm it from the host) nor my kali VM see the adapter. Better yet, when I select the "devices" tab I can see my adapter but when I click on it I get a "failed to attach USB device" (see attachment for exact image). the adapter isn't even receiving power when I plug it in after Kali has loaded meaning its not even receiving power. LITERALLY NOTHING I DO WORKS. Here is what I have tried so far:

-Create USB filters of every sort
-uninstalling ALL new software that I had that came after I had it working the first time.
-uninstall and reinstall VB, Kali Linux (3x)
-download extension pack for VB
-uninstall drivers on host for the adapter
-install compact wireless drivers on Kali
-not plug in adapter until Kali has fully loaded
-updated kali with apt-get upgrade & apt-get install
-punch through a door
-turn the computer on and off again (i've only done this around 50 times)
-run Kali using admin rights
- watch an unhealthy amount of YouTube tutorials.

I am not kidding when I say I have spent over 16 hours on this BS to no avail. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I don't even want to surf Reddit. That is how much this has got me down. My theory: VB is grabbing the USB device (which is why I wont see it on the host) but failing to fully connect it to be used on the Kali VM. I am about ready to put a bounty on this and offer a permanent reward. I am sorry if the humor is excessive but it is the only thing keeping me from punching through another door.
Attachments
device fail.PNG
device fail.PNG (75.91 KiB) Viewed 26102 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox will not connect wireless adapter

Post by socratis »

Kaydc wrote:Long story short
Man, I'd hate to see the long version, just send me the DVDs... :D

Before I forget... Do you see that "Copy" button in the error dialog? Use it next time. Much smaller size and... searchable! Oh, and if you have to include a screenshot, and since you belong to that group of people with HiDPI, please shrink it to at least half its size. Thank you for your attention. We now return to our scheduled program...

OK, there's a list I've been using for sometime (kind of the Samuel Jackson passage in Pulp Fiction?). Follow the steps below. Exactly. Not everything applies to you. If there is a failure, please state exactly which step failed:
  1. Make sure that the Extension Pack is installed on the host. The same version as VirtualBox.
  2. Make sure that at least USB2 (EHCI) is enabled in your VM settings. If your guest supports USB3 (xHCI), use that.
  3. Create a USB filter in your guest settings while the device is plugged in the host. Delete all values except Name, VendorID and ProductID. Check also http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids to make sure that you have the numbers correct.
  4. Unplug the device.
  5. Start your guest (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely. Log in if you have to.
  6. Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest.
I hope that it works, because if it doesn't, there's another list; the troubleshooting...

BTW, I didn't even get your host details. Or the VirtualBox details. Or the Kali details.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
|| BALR ||

Post by || BALR || »

Hey people,

I have the same problem. I bought the Alfa AWUS036ACH adapter. It has the Realtek RTL8812AU chipset.
When i start up Kali Linux 2017.2 in Virtualbox, and look in the USB menu, it show up but it says its claimed. When i click on it to connect it, it gives me the following error:
USB Device 'Realtek 802.11n NIC' is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.
Resultcode: E_INVALIDARG(0x80070057)
I tried all solutions given on the forums, youtube and other sites, but nothing helps. :(
Can anyone help me with this problem??
thx in advance
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

|| BALR || wrote:I tried all solutions given on the forums
Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
|| BALR ||

Post by || BALR || »

THX BRO IT WORKS NOW!!! :lol:
scentlessSatan

Post by scentlessSatan »

Maybe it is not important for you anymore, but for those who encountered these problem.
I find the solution adding usbfilter in terminal, using VBoxManager, and adding my user to vboxgroup (don't know if it matters).

Code: Select all

$ VBoxManage usbfilter add <0> --target [vm|uuid] --name [] --vendorid [] --productid []
Also you can just attach the adapter with usbattach.

Code: Select all

$ VBoxManage list usbhost
$ VBoxManage controlvm [vm] usbattach [adapter-uuid]
GeorgeGkinis

Post by GeorgeGkinis »

Try uninstalling USBPCap from your host.
Comes with Wireshark.

Worked for me!