Change drive letter

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Jiger
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

Change drive letter

Post by Jiger »

I have installed VirtualBox Guest Additions (Win XP as VM under Win 10) and they are automatically installed on drive D, where no other maps or files seem to be allowed. For a certain reason, I need an old dos-program to occopy drive D and my simple question is: Is it possible to change drive letter for the Guest Additions or can they be moved to some other place/disk?
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Change drive letter

Post by mpack »

The Guest Additions don't have a drive letter, they don't even have a drive.

The Guest Additions are contained in a virtual CD which is accessed via a virtual CD drive, and that drive may be assigned a single letter identifier: if the guest OS is DOS or Windows. The naming scheme used by the guest OS for devices including drives is actually not something that VirtualBox (the hardware) knows or cares about. E.g. there is nothing in the microcode of your physical PC which caused all guests to refer to the CD drive as "D" or as anything else. That has nothing to do with hardware (the realm where VirtualBox works), that is just a convention that is used by some operating systems you are obviously familiar with.

The typical way to ensure that DOS or Windows sees a drive D which is not the CD drive is to add a second hard drive to the VM recipe. In your Windows XP guest you can also manually reassign drive labels.

Moving this topic to "Windows Guests" since it is not a "Using VirtualBox" question.
Jiger
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

Re: Change drive letter

Post by Jiger »

Thank you very much for the quick reply. There are many excellent tutorials on the net on how to create a new disk in a VM, so the problem is solved.