Audio Comes Before Video in Win10 Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Chimerae

Audio Comes Before Video in Win10 Guest

Post by Chimerae »

Hello,

Whenever I play video (usually HD) in my Win10 guest, the audio and video quickly become out of sync. They stay on track with each other initially, but as time goes on (10-30 seconds) the video begins to lag BEHIND the audio with a second or two delay.

I have searched and searched to try and find remedies for this, but most articles I have found deal with the opposite situation, audio after video.

This problem occurs more on HD video than it does with 480p. I have kept an eye on the guest task manager and the CPU load usually sticks around 60%, hardly spiking to 98%. I have ensured all drivers were up to date, and I have tested it with 2D/3D accel. both off and on.

Host Specs:

Win10
8x1GB 2133GHz Ram
Intel i7 7500U 2.9GHz Dual Core processor
256GB NvMe SSD

Guest Specs:

Win10
4096mb RAM
256mb video memory
Two cores set to 80% exec. cap

Guest Additions and the newest extension pack have been installed and I am using VBox 5.1.12
Chimerae

Re: Audio Comes Before Video in Win10 Guest

Post by Chimerae »

Bump. Anyone else having this problem?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I think you would have heard by now if anyone else had the problem. Forum users love to post "me too" replies.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the "VBox.log" (just the first one), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

Also, you didn't mention what program you use to play the video. Having two CPUs for the guest and the guest utilizing around 60% sounds like your video player might be single-threaded and it's using a single processor full time trying to decode the video, sometimes lagging...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Chimerae

Post by Chimerae »

I'll post the logs in a little bit when I get to my computer.

The videos do this in Windows Media Player, the Groove player, and various internet browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge)

I have tried using 1 core set to 100% as well as 2 to 100% just out of curiousity and it did not change at all.
Kennxt

Post by Kennxt »

Same exact issue here.

Windows 10 Enterprise Host with plenty of Horsepower
Windows 10 Entperise Guest with 2x CPU and 6GB Ram

Sound crackles also, so frustrating.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Same exact advice then. See my previous post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

Just wanted to let you know that there's a new 5.1 test build (r115730) which should have audio improvements regarding HDA emulation in combination with Windows 10 AU (Anniversary Update) + CU (Creators Update) guests.

The test builds can be downloaded from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds