Windows 10 displays black desktop on second screen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Peak

Windows 10 displays black desktop on second screen

Post by Peak »

My Virtualbox is installed in laptop, OS is windows 10, I also install a guest windows 10 to do some other tasks. I have a second screen connected to laptop and the guest windows 10 is displayed on second screen.

If I don't shutdown/save the guest windows 10 then unplug in the second screen and then plugin second screen again:

1. The guest windows 10 always display a black desktop. If I press Windows key on keyboard, Start menu and taskbar can be displayed on guest, but the desktop is still black. After the Start Menu and taskbar is hidden, all desktop is black again. To show the desktop, I write a bat file to restart explorer.exe, press Windows key + R to run the bat file, then the desktop can be displayed.

2. The virtualbox min bar will be displayed on first screen of laptop

Did someone have this issue before? How to resolve it? If it is a bug, how can I report a bug to support team?

My VirtualBox version is 5.1.12r112440(Qt5.6.2)
Host and Guest are latest Windows 10
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 displays black desktop on second screen

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows 10 is somewhat a hard OS to run as host or guest now, because Microsoft has changed how they update the OS and it's rather a moving target. So some issues may be expected.

Do you have Guest Additions and 3D acceleration installed in the OS? See Minimum info needed

Also, please attach the guest's .vbox 'recipe' file as a zip file, using the Upload Attachment tab under the textbox where you type new posts. You can find the guest's .vbox file by right-clicking the guest in the main Virtualbox window and choosing Show in Explorer. Be sure your host OS is set to show known extensions.

Theoretical bugs can be reported on the Bugtracker. You will need to provide a log showing a guest starting from complete shutdown to running on the 2nd screen, unplugging and replugging the second screen, seeing the black guest desktop, running your batch file, seeing the guest desktop come back, then shutting down the guest from within the guest OS.

Meanwhile, take a suggestion from the Doctor and the Patient:

Doctor: So what seems to be the problem?

Patient: When I do this (touches a painful part of his body) it HURTS!!

Doctor: Well then don't touch it and it won't hurt!
Peak

Post by Peak »

The log file and vbox file are attached.

Another thing was found today. After I run mstsc(Remote Desktop Connection) in guest, and unplug in the second screen, the guest desktop will become black. But once the desktop become black, it will not be shown again, even I close the mstsc on guest, I must restart explorer. The second issue always happens.
Attachments
WTS.vbox.zip
The .vbox file
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
VBox.log.zip
The Log file
(28.97 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Peak

Post by Peak »

I submitted a ticket in bugtracker, but no one replied
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Peak wrote:I submitted a ticket in bugtracker, but no one replied
Patience padawan The DEVs are on vacation over the holidays. Their force will return shortly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The amount of traffic in the bugtracker is about 5-10% of what's in the forums. So do not expect an immediate response. It's not like you have a support contract. VirtualBox is an open-source, community supported project (mainly) so your best bet is the community (forums) vs. the actual bug report, and not the occasional configuration problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.