error SfmDxGetSwapChainStats could not be located in dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.d

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MichaelB12

Re: error SfmDxGetSwapChainStats could not be located in dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3

Post by MichaelB12 »

Hey, no solution from Oracle?

I still have the same problem from many months. It crash totally with the error SfmDxGetSwapChainStats d3d9.dll when i use Office 365 (enter in some windows like Print)

???
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: error SfmDxGetSwapChainStats could not be located in dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3

Post by mpack »

Nope, no solution from Oracle. Nor would I expect one, since VirtualBox isn't the one having the problem.
MichaelB12

Post by MichaelB12 »

Thanks for your answer but so in which layer are this problem? I mean with a Windows 10 not virtualised and Office 365 it works.
But Windows 10 Virtualised, Office365 hang. With PowerPoint i cannot go to the printing menu else Office hang and close with that error about SfmDxGetSwapChainStats.
I understood that Virtualbox replace the directx files with his own.. No?
Iaintx

Post by Iaintx »

I know this is an ancient thread, but the problem's still very real and this thread comes up at the top of the list with SfmDxGetSwapChainStats and VirtualBox.

I've been fighting this for a couple of days after upgrading W7 guest to W10 and attempting to restart my Conan Exiles server. (VirtualBox xx on Debian.)

After upgrading, I started getting the error, and sfc /scannow reports that d3d9.dll is corrupt, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's d3d9.dll alone, since SfmDxGetSwapChainStats doesn't appear as an entry point in a working dll (but that could just be my misreading).

Anyway, following the instructions in the third mesage here solved the problem for me. After running DISM, sfc /scannow will actually fix the corrupted and/or missing DLLs.

Summary: in an admin command prompt every time:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
reboot
sfc /scannow
reboot
sfc /scannow
For me, the first sfc /scannow reported that it had fixed all problems, and the second is just a check that it didn't find more. (It didn't.) My Win10 game server seems fine now.