Install Siemens PC adapter In VBox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
daniadisaputra

Install Siemens PC adapter In VBox

Post by daniadisaputra »

Recently i working with a Siemens PC Adapter, i try to connect the to the machine, the problem is when i connect the PC adapter to the Vbox, the device is not detected.
Anything that we already try is:
1. Reinstall the driver -> Not Working
2. Install Additional driver for USB 3 -> Not Working
3. Reset With VBox Manage -> Not Working
4. Resetting the regedit (my partner idea) -> Still Not Working
Is there any other way to install the driver in the VBox? Because we try with different type of Laptop (older Version but Same Brand) and it is working. And why is it happen?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install Siemens PC adapter In VBox

Post by socratis »

Things that are missing:
  1. Your host.
  2. Your guest.
  3. The description of what on earth is a "Siemens PC Adapter"
  4. The way that you try to connect it.
  5. Why you believe that the driver is not installed. Not connecting is not an answer.
  6. What's the difference between the working and the not-working computers.
  7. "Older version/same brand". Of what? Laptop? OS? VirtualBox? Siemens PC Adapter?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Given the markets that Siemens works in (the same as my own), I would guess it's an adapter for some industry comms protocol such as HART, PROFIBUS, etc, or a generic RS485 converter. Details would be good.

Probably the usual USB RTFM stuff. I note that the extension pack is not mentioned.

@Dania: Please provide a VM log fle. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip, and attach the zip here.

p.s. I don't know what "resetting the regedit" means!
daniadisaputra

Post by daniadisaputra »

@socratis Sorry I'm new in this kind of stuff
1. Your host -> Windows 7 64 Bit
2. Your guest -> Windows 7 64 Bit
3. The description of what on earth is a "Siemens PC Adapter" -> Its an industrial comms device
4. The way that you try to connect it -> I Connect the device via USB? is that what you mean?
5. Why you believe that the driver is not installed. Not connecting is not an answer -> because normally when i connect the device it shown in the device manager.
6. What's the difference between the working and the not-working computers -> Just the Version, i dont know about the hardware.
7. "Older version/same brand". Of what? Laptop? OS? VirtualBox? Siemens PC Adapter? -> HP ZBook (new version, USB PC Adapter not working) And HP Elitebook (old version, USB PC Adapter working normally)

@mpack here is the log data. i'm using VBox Version 5.1.8 r111374 (Qt5.5.1). i dont really know also what my friend means with ressetting the registry. he just saying to remove the usb driver and install new one.
Attachments
VBoxLog.7z
(29.19 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Follow the steps below. If there is a failure, please state which step failed:
  1. Make sure that the Extension Pack is installed on the host. The same version as VirtualBox.
  2. Make sure that at least USB 2.0 is enabled in your VM settings.
  3. Create a USB filter in your guest settings while the device is plugged in the host. Delete all values except Name, VendorID and ProductID. Check also http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids to make sure that you have the numbers correct.
  4. Unplug the device.
  5. Start your guest (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely. Log in if you have to.
  6. Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest. You might get a "New hardware found" wizard on the guest, that's normal.
  7. With the USB device plugged in and the VM not running, post the output of the following commands:
        VBoxManage list usbhost
        VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_Virtual_Machine_Name"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
daniadisaputra

Post by daniadisaputra »

Dear socratis

we try your suggestion, we cant find our product id in the usb.ids list, when we connect the device the usb filter details shows
Name : SIEMENS AG SIMATIC PC Adapter USB [0010]
Vendor ID : 0908
Product ID: 0004
Revision : 0010
Manufac : SIEMENS AG
Product : SIEMENS PC ADAPTER USB
Serial No. :6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0
we try to use different product id 10fe (SIMATIC NET PC Adapter A2) but its not working, and when we run the VM, no new hardware found.
how to post the vboxmanage command?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@daniadisaputra
I gave you a very specific, detailed, numbered list. I told you to reply for each step, if it worked or not. The "usb.ids" is just a warning. Ignore it and please post the reply in the form:
  1. OK
  2. I checked.
  3. FAILURE because of A B C.
Do not mix or involve new hardware or other hardware. Please stay focused on the list.
daniadisaputra wrote:how to post the vboxmanage comman
If you mean how to run the "VBoxManage" command, open a Command Prompt window. Navigate to the VirtualBox installation directory (typically "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"). With the USB device plugged in and the VM not running, post the output of the following commands:
    VBoxManage list usbhost
    VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_Virtual_Machine_Name"
daniadisaputra

Post by daniadisaputra »

Test Result
1. Ok. I checked
2. Ok. I checked
3. Ok. I check it but i can't find our product id in the usb.ids list
4. Ok
5. Ok
6. Failure Because in the usb device the pc adapter is available, but failed to install the driver. error message in attachment.
7. I Checked. the result is in attachment (Vboxmanage.Zip).
Attachments
Vboxmanage.7z
(247.48 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Error Vbox.png
Error Vbox.png (19.94 KiB) Viewed 7321 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Failure to install the driver will not prevent VirtualBox from capturing the device, it will only prevent its proper use. "Busy with a previous request" means that you didn't wait until the guest OS was running before you plugged in the device.

Also: be careful. The first "New hardware found" wizard you see will be from the HOST, i.e. from VirtualBox, asking to install the filter driver. You must allow this to be installed on your host otherwise VirtualBox will be unable to capture the device. Let the host find the driver automatically, do not attempt to redirect it to the device driver. Having allowed this installation of the filter driver you then unplug and replug the device. You should get a new "New hardware found", but this time it's from the guest OS, and you can direct it towards your custom device driver.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

daniadisaputra wrote:3. Ok.I check it but i can't find our product id in the usb.ids list
No. You did not follow the instructions. Forget about the "usb.ids". Focus on the rest of the instruction!!!
daniadisaputra wrote:7. I Checked. the result is in attachment (Vboxmanage.Zip).
No. You did not follow the instructions. And disconnect anything not essential.

Repeat from the beginning. Step by step. If you do not, that is going to be my last post on this thread, because it's like I'm talking to the wall.

And delete that Empty Filter you have. And next time do not post a screenshot. Copy/paste the actual text. Search for it if you don't know how to.
daniadisaputra

Post by daniadisaputra »

Problem solve, we found the problem, just need to disable the USB 3 (XHCI) in the bios and its working, thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Well, it's got to be the first time where a downgrade from a backwards compatible protocol solves this kind of a problem. I'm wondering what that change might have triggered in your system to make this happen. Plus I have a feeling we're not getting the whole story here...
daniadisaputra

Post by daniadisaputra »

Well that's fine for us because with this kind of solution we can work with our machine. Sorry if maybe its not solving the original problem. Cause i guess the PC Adapter can only work with USB 2.0. Just maybe..
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

There was a lot of confusion here. The OP says that both host and guest is Win7-64, but the log says that the WindowsVista-64 template was chosen.

Neither Win7 nor Vista has native support for USB3. In the Win7 case you can install the Intel xHCI drivers: but I'd be surprised if an industrial serial adapter really needs USB3!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:WindowsVista-64 template was chosen.
I don't think that is has any effect in the USB3 connection. You can user Other/Other and still have USB3 support on the guest, as long as you meet the requirements in your host (hardware, ExtPack, settings). Other than that minor detail, you're absolutely right, that's why I said "we're not getting the whole story here...".

I'll close this problem in my book as a PEBKAC, it has all the signs...