Missing cursor for Wacom Tablet

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RTTST

Re: Missing cursor for Wacom Tablet

Post by RTTST »

Bummer. :-( I haven't tried advanced brushes yet, because I am just now getting the Adobe stuff into a usable state once more.

I will keep plugging along. If I discover any workaround/solution, I will post it here.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

That's ok it was worth a try, so many bugs in software these days anything is worth a shot. Have you ever tried any other VM software other than virtual box? I haven't myself, maybe they handle OpenGl differently and works with Wacom tablets?

Same here if I get any info on what might be the cause and/or a alternative solution I'll post back. I'd say this affects quite a lot of people who want to get rid of the shackles of windows..
RTTST

Post by RTTST »

Yes, I have tried KVM-QEMU, which seems to do a better job. One has to do handstands at least with opening multiple screens though. You have to define extra virtual graphic adapters (one for each monitor). And, launch/select them in virt-viewer. I wasn't too impressed with the audio quality (in Windows). It can probably be improved with more time. I did not get very fat at least for testing my Adobe applications. Already spent a great deal with the Vbox trials. VirtualBox seems to be an easier setup solution for Windows. However, I use KVM for other Linux virtual guests and am quite happy with it. I may actually revisit that as a solution. [Be careful in creating too many guests using the same Windows OS license. UUID and the MAC address are critical.]

My focus now is to gradually transition away from Adobe, and use Linux alternatives such as OpenShot, Inkscape, Ardour, Synfig Studio, Gimp and Scribus. [It will save me the CC subscription fee.] Now if Adobe ever develops a Linux suite, I would probably switch back. I am just so fed up with Windows. Apologies for deviating from the Wacom topic in this reply.
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

VMware player works so well I can hardly believe eyes. Converting VDI to vmware is straight forward too.

I installed on Ubuntu 16.10 host, real slick no issues. Windows guest runs like it was bare metal.

Happy days!
RTTST

Post by RTTST »

Are you using the latest VMware player, v12.5?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you want to keep discussing VMWare, I'd suggest you continue that discussion in the VMWare forums. It doesn't help any VirtualBox users. And the forums are called "End user forums for VirtualBox".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

I thought we were helping Vbox users by letting them know there's no OpenGL issues in VMWare 12? It's really important to some people.

I currently use Vbox VMWare and Qemu KVM. But Have decided to use VMWare for graphics as that's one of
my virtual primary needs.

Interestingly I've had 2 win7 VDI's become corrupt and unusable since and I've no idea why or how? I strongly recommend backing up any VM's you make or convert and keep them safe. Also save data off the VM to a local folder or disk in case of corruption.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Zorba wrote:2 win7 VDI's become corrupt and unusable ... strongly recommend backing up any VM's you make or convert and keep them safe
Always a good idea to back up stuff you'd be depressed over losing. See this tutorial Moving a VM and re-interpret it as "Backing Up a VM".

Exporting and cloning aren't recommended for backing up a VM. Either process changes some guest settings, and a change in the guest means there's no way to confirm the backup. The "Moving/Backing Up a VM" method allows a simple FC file compare for backup confirmation and is compatible with encrypted guests. Additionally, Export tries to match the older OVA format and is intended for using a guest under another hypervisor besides Virtualbox. The OVA format is not compatible with encrypted guests: guests must be decrypted to export.
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Thanks!

Yeah when it comes to back up I generally make a copy of the VM and save it in a different folder on a external local disk. Then replace as and when needed (which is not often but does happen). This recent corruption event was weird tho, even reverting snapshots ended in failure.

Now, I not sure but it all started when I left a VM open on my machine and was away for a while, when I came back
that particular VM died with a message on screen saying failed to find boot device error 0x000000f. I'm not sure but the only thing that would have triggered while I was gone was the power settings of the VM, maybe something went wrong when it went to into sleep mode? I have since turned that off. Moral of the story don't leave a VM unattended.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I would also check my host's hard drive. Corruption can occur in any link of the chain...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Very true a lesson I learned once before..

Anyway, rather than trying to figure things out I try to mitigate them, or find alternative solutions.
RTTST

Post by RTTST »

Update, I just tried latest version of Vbox and GA versions 5.1.16 r113841. Was hopeful given these change log comments.

GUI: fixes for full-screen with multiple screens
USB: fixed not being able to attach certain USB devices having invalid characters in the device strings

But, no joy. Pen cursor remains in ether.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RTTST wrote:But, no joy. Pen cursor remains in ether.
If you noticed most fixes refer back to a ticket number. A reference to a ticket that was opened by one of affected users? That's something that's been missing from this thread.

So, open a ticket, post your details and your logs, reference this discussion and hope for the best. Because without a ticket, no developer will (most probably) notice.
vm_guy

Post by vm_guy »

Thank you to Androix for his idea,
his way was the only way i could get it working,

2) Activate Windows cursor trails (I use short because it's less annoying)

when im done using the tablet, i simply put the mouse settings back to normal,
wac

Post by wac »

Thanks for the tips, too (disabling GA and cursor trails).

The only satisfying solution to get a pointer for the stylus in PS without disabling GA for me was enabling 3D acceleration in the VM-settings. Haven't tried disabling mouse integration, though.