multi-monitor

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
brandonm121

multi-monitor

Post by brandonm121 »

Hello, i recently setup a 2 virtual machines running windows 7. Both are running dual core procs and 3 gb ram. Physically the machine has 3 monitors hooked to it. One for the actual machine and the other two reserved to display the 2 virtual machines. Machine 1 that is displayed on the left most screen keeps switching to the right screen and i don't know why. the 2 virtual machines and all 3 screen are identical I'm not sure why it keeps switching to the other side.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: multi-monitor

Post by mpack »

Essentially, virtual multiple monitors feature doesn't care how many physical monitors you have. It doesn't need a physical monitor to be set aside to show a window.

The host OS is mainly responsible for managing the placement of windows on the host's virtual desktop (in Windows a virtual desktop binds your three displays into one). VirtualBox can ask to be displayed in a particular location, but the OS doesn't have to honor this. Also the host might get confused about which display is which: how are the additional monitors attached?

Check if it matters which VM you close down first.

Note: I'm afraid that I've never felt the need to run with multiple displays (I use a single large display instead), so I can't test this scenario for you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

mpack wrote:the host might get confused about which display is which
+1 This used to happen on my Windows 7 workstation all the time when I was running a 3-monitor guest on a four-monitor host. Occasionally the host would forget the order of the monitors and would have to be re-oriented, usually via the "Detect" function on the monitor layout Control Panel page. If I forgot about using Detect I would go through and reset each virtual monitor to the correct screen, then the host OS would remember the correct monitor order all of a sudden and my guest monitors would be thrown off again.

I also did have three of my monitors on a power switch so I could turn them off when I wanted. The host OS would still think there were four monitors there when I remoted in with UltraVNC, but I might come in the next day to find three monitors instead of four and have to do a Detect, then my guest would be all screwed up.

still have the four monitors,btw, with a Windows 10 workstation, but no three-monitor guests anymore.
brandonm121

Post by brandonm121 »

the problem is im running an automated task that needs to have a certain program pulled up as the active window in order to run the scheduled event. When the physical machine gets confused and opens monitor 2 on monitor 3 it messes up my scheduled tasks. :(
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You might look into "AutoIt" as a possible solution for where the window pops up, or to move the window to a desired location. (Just a thought, I don't know if that's possible.)