Very crackly sound on Windows 10 pro guests

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpooley

Very crackly sound on Windows 10 pro guests

Post by mpooley »

HI
I am very new to VMs in general but have just set up a couple of guest windows 10 Pro systems.
Both of which have very poor sound, which is very crackly .
I have googled this problem, followed the tips but have not found an answer.

I was going to add to a bug report but it says that I have to send a Log which is OK but it also says audio logging must be enabled.
It is not enabled in my log but I don't know how to enable it?
can any one either help with my audio problem or tell me how to enable Audio logging.

Thanks

Mike
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Very crackly sound on Windows 10 pro guests

Post by scottgus1 »

The manual doesn't have a regular section on an audio log that I can find. There is a mention of an audio log, under "Vboxmanage controlvm", in the "vrdeproperty" section. That may or may not be what you need.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

elumbus

Post by elumbus »

We have the same problem here on at least two boxes, both running xenial as a host with windows 10 guest. audio is complete messed up (cracks), my collegue also complained about youtube running at double speed. i just upgraded to 5.0.28 r111378 but that does not help it. also the instruction for audio debugging did'nt succeed, at least there has been no logging enabled line in the file ... :(
mpooley

Post by mpooley »

Thanks for your help but I didn't find out how to set the audio logging on.
I just downloaded the latest version of VBox and the additions but that has not helped the sound at all. It is totally unusable at the the moment.
obviously I can still watch youtube etc on the host machine but I was trying to set up a very minimal host.
I'll have to hope that this problem is put right. there are quite a lot of people having the same problem so hope it might get fixed soon.

Thanks

Mike
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Audio in the latest releases is ... buggy. Either downgrade or wait for a fix. They know about it, they're working on it.

Ref.: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79872&p=375942#p375942
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpooley

Post by mpooley »

Ah! thanks for the info :)