NO DEVICE MENU

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SMXSteve

NO DEVICE MENU

Post by SMXSteve »

I have read every friggin support article and tried every suggestion but CANNOT get the Device menu to appear. More important is running Guest Extensions. Why is this such a problem? Running Mac Host, Windows 7 Guest. I even ran the 5.18 update. Tries host keys, running the "CD". Nothing. My reason for running Guest Extensions is that my network connection is not stable from the Guest. So if you have ideas for that that would be even better.
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NO DEVICE MENU

Post by socratis »

Are you running full screen? Have you enabled the mini toolbar? I'd like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SMXSteve

Post by SMXSteve »

Holy crap. Your "Have you enabled the mini toolbar" made me look again. Under the User Interface EVERYTHING was CHECKED. So I just started clicking things. Not once in all the searching that I found did I read that the actual name of each category needed to be clicked itself and gray (except Applications won't). Was that really the solution? I've created a lot of interfaces in my 30 years of development and never seen anything like that. Not trying to be condescending but that's literally right in front of you but hidden. Seriously, every checkbox and menu is checked but that one final step?

Anyway, thanks for responding. Sorry for the trouble but again I never found this solution yet the Device Menu is one of the biggest complaints.

Steve
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

SMXSteve wrote:I've created a lot of interfaces in my 30 years of development and never seen anything like that.
Multiplatform? Qt-based? It's tough...
SMXSteve wrote:yet the Device Menu is one of the biggest complaints
Not even close to "USB is busy with a previous request". Not even remotely close... ;)

Glad you got it working.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SMXSteve

Post by SMXSteve »

There are standards across all graphical user interfaces whatever the platform. Gray has always meant unavailable where here is the opposite. Tabs usually represent a folder which brings up another display where here what look like tabs are a combination button/dropdown which the button part isn't obvious. Anyway, keeping it simple and clear is the best design.

And yes USB issues are probably the worst...

But again thanks you triggered something in my old head that gave me that ah ha moment :D