Base System Device driver not found

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
gwilki

Base System Device driver not found

Post by gwilki »

[Mod edit: This is a continuation of the topic Windows 7 USB problem, but the focus of the problem has changed, necessitating a new topic]
Just a quick update, Socratis, then I will finally leave you alone. :-)

Last night, I hooked up a business card scanner that was really the objective of this whole exercise. After setting up the filter and installing the software, the guest saw it right away and I was scanning my way to fame and fortune within minutes.

I still have not found the driver for the "base system" error, but all seems to be working well, so there would seem to be no urgency. There are threads on the issue, but seemingly no solutions.

Take care and thanks again.

Grant
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 7 USB problem

Post by socratis »

gwilki wrote:then I will finally leave you alone
That's it? No flowers? No chocolate? Not even a letter? :D
gwilki wrote:I still have not found the driver for the "base system" error
Take a look at this: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ho ... e-manager/ . Follow it up to the point where it says "Update Drivers Using Driver Easy". Post your findings from the last step just before that.
 Edit: Actually come to think of it, open a new thread with an appropriate title, something like: Unknown "base system" device in Windows 7 VM. 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gwilki

Post by gwilki »

Finally, I can say that I was on the right track before your instructions.

I had found the link to the PCI vendor's site and put the info in. The Results come up as "virtualbox device" and the vendor being "Oracle Corporation - InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH". I've been looking on the virtualbox site for drivers, but all I've found so far is the extension pack, which is installed and shows as being the same version as the VB itself.

One site I found suggested re-starting the host in safe mode and installing the extension pack again. I have not yet tried that, but will do so.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The extension pack is for the host, absolutely nothing to do with the guest. Post the raw hexadecimal numbers for the VendorID and the DeviceID from the guest, please.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gwilki

Post by gwilki »

vendor id is 0X80EE

device id is 0XCAFE
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yeap, that's a VirtualBox device. Unfortunately I don't know which one because they use those constants all over the place, from EFI, to network, to filesystem, to USB. Speaking of, did you enable USB3 maybe in the VM settings?
gwilki

Post by gwilki »

No, USB3 is not enable, only 2.

I read too many threads on the net about this same problem. Most were out of date and were not relevant to the current version of VB. One, however, linked to a site that contained a driver download purporting to be for the base system device for the oracle virtualbox. It listed the exact vendor and device ids as the ones that I sent to you - the ones that I am missing. I downloaded the zip - worrying all the while about spyware and viruses. I scanned both the zip and the extracted files, and they come up clean.

The extracted files are vboxcontrol.exe, vboxguest.cat, vboxguest.inf, vboxguest.pnf, vboxguest.sys and vboxtray.exe.

The digital signature on all of them is "oracle corporation".

There is no documentation on installing the driver. I'm going to try to learn more before deciding whether to try installing it. My VM seems to be running fine, so I'm not sure playing with this is worth the possible problems it could create. I can always back up the VM, and restore it if this proves to be bad news.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

How about re-installing the guest additions? Or even better, uninstall them and then install them again. Of course having a backup wouldn't hurt at all. On the contrary... What you found sound like the VirtualBox GAs, but a) you simply can't know for sure and b) you don't even know the version. I wouldn't install them... If you have the website, please post the link.
gwilki

Post by gwilki »

This is the website from which I downloaded the base system device driver. I selected windows 7 32-bit as the OS, and scrolled down to the base system section.

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturer ... albox/1130

When you say, uninstall and re-install the guest additions, do you mean the extension pack? I have already uninstalled and re-installed it. But, I know that is on the host so I conclude that is not what you are referring to.

I've seen many references to GA's on the net, but I see no place on virtualbox.org to download them. Further, I've read the section in the manual on the installation of guest additions. It does not correspond to my installation, it seems. It mentions going to the "devices menu in the virtual machine's menu bar". I see no such bar in my VM. It goes on to say that the devices can be installed manually by again going to the devices menu, choosing mount cd/dvd rom and then navigating to an .iso file on the host machine. I not only do not see the devices menu, but the .iso file is not in the directory that the manual points me to.

Forgive my ignorance, pls Socratis, but if the manual is correct,then clearly my installation is not at all as described. If the manual is out of date, then I am lost to know how to find and install guest devices.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. Unless you want to mess up your VM, do not download the drivers you found.

2. You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack get installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, Encryption.
  • The Guest Additions get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing, enhanced graphics support.
3. Unless you're running full screen, here's the Devices menu: http://www.wintips.org/wp-content/uploa ... rkwt2g.jpg
gwilki

Post by gwilki »

Tks much yet again, Socratis. I've deleted the downloaded files.

I'm starting (finally) to see the source of at least some of my problems. I do not have that menu bar in my VM. I've checked the user interface menu in the VB and full screen is not checked. It does nothing to the display when I check/uncheck it, or the other items such as scaled.

Menu bar is ticked, but does not show.

Oh well, I'm off to work now. I can't thank you enough for the time you are giving this.

Grant
gwilki

Post by gwilki »

I now have the menu bar, but it is not the same are yours. My headings are file, machine, view, input and help. I have no "devices" item.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Check the VM Settings, User Interface. Make sure that the "Devices" menu in the main menus is enabled, and by clicking on the down arrow of "Devices" menu, that the "Insert CD..." is enabled.

Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, Show in Explorer. Attach the .vbox file.
gwilki

Post by gwilki »

Socratis

Before your last message, I had checked the VM settings and the "devices" menu was checked and the "insert CD" was enabled. Even with those things done, I do not get a devices tab in the menu bar.

I did as you instructed - show explorer, but I am unclear on how to "attach the .vbox file". Right clicking it does not produce and option for "attach" and my experience with attaching only covers drives, not files.

I am clearly at something of a loss here. I've read and re-read the manual concerning GA's. The instructions do not correspond to my installation. I've now read the entire manual to see if there is a work-around, but I have been unable to see one. I've searched the net for solutions, but found none.

I have taken a great deal of your time and, judging from the lack of anyone else in this thread, I am thinking that, somehow, this problem is unique to me. (Damn, I'm special.)

Since the VM seems to be running acceptably without the base device driver installed, I am thinking that I should leave you alone to pursue other issues. I am very grateful for all your help, but for some reason, I do not seem to be able to solve this one, despite your excellent instructions. If you would like to close this thread, therefore, it would be perfectly understandable.

Grant
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Something is funky in your setup, that's for sure...

First of all, after this message, I'm going to split the topic, because this is no more a USB problem. I'll slightly edit the title and add a comment at the first message, so that it makes sense. Feel free to edit the message as you please.
gwilki wrote:Before your last message, I had checked the VM settings and the "devices" menu was checked and the "insert CD" was enabled. Even with those things done, I do not get a devices tab in the menu bar.
It's a "menu", not a "tab", just to be consistent. That's the reason I want to see the .vbox file.
gwilki wrote:I did as you instructed - show explorer, but I am unclear on how to "attach the .vbox file". Right clicking it does not produce and option for "attach" and my experience with attaching only covers drives, not files.
Mea culpa, I should have been clearer. Attach the .vbox file to your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).

gwilki wrote:I have taken a great deal of your time and, judging from the lack of anyone else in this thread, I am thinking that, somehow, this problem is unique to me. (Damn, I'm special.)
Usually if a user has "the lead" on a topic, other users don't have a reason to intervene, unless to correct a mistake or offer a different idea. Since most moderators are usually the good Samaritans/masochists they're the ones on the front line. Don't sweat it. But your problem is quite unique, that's why I'm going to split it and give it an appropriate title.

Oh, and threads don't "close" per se, they're only locked in case that they are referring to illegal software, really really out of date issues, or a user has crossed the line.