Windows Guest Not reporting or using correct RAM assigned

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RossC

Windows Guest Not reporting or using correct RAM assigned

Post by RossC »

I am currently running a Toshiba i3 with 16 gigs ram and 1T hard drive. It is a Ubuntu host, but I am required to run Windows for a piece of work software. I have Windows 10 registered copy running as guest. I have assigned 8 Gigs of RAM to the Guest. Windows is showing 3.5 gigs of RAM in the about screen. Performance is very choppy. I have assigned 2 processors to the guest.

I am supposed to use the work software (Medent) with Dragon Natural Speaking. When ever I use Dragon, the system goes to blue screen and reboots. I think it is running out of memory. I have tried assigning 10 gigs of ram to the guest - still reports 3.5 gigs or RAM in Windows with same blue screen results.

How can I get the RAM I assigned to be used by the guest. Have I missed a configuration parameter? Is there something I have to change in VBoxManage?

Any help would make my work life much easier.

Ross
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Guest Not reporting or using correct RAM assigned

Post by socratis »

RossC wrote:How can I get the RAM I assigned to be used by the guest. Have I missed a configuration parameter?
That "configuration" parameter would be to install the 64-bit of Windows instead of the 32-bit one that you have installed now. Most 32-bit OSes can only see up to 3.5 GB of RAM. If you already have installed the 64-bit version, then check the settings for "Operating System". You may have selected the 32-bit version of Win10, although I'm not sure this is even going to get Win10-64 installed to begin with.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Guest Not reporting or using correct RAM assigned

Post by socratis »

I just realized that you posted this before.

In my reply there, I directed you to read the Minimum information needed for assistance. That includes attaching a compressed VBox.log. You didn't, so please do it now:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error/crash.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself).
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
I also told you that 32-bit OSes do NOT see more than 3.5 GB. Are you ignoring the replies altogether? In that case I don't see the point continuing this discussion...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.