Win2000 Drag and Drop error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bry89
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP SP3, Win2000 SP4, Win98 SE, Ubuntu 12.04

Win2000 Drag and Drop error

Post by Bry89 »

Not been on this forum for a long while, as I haven't been using VirtualBox much these days. Anyway, I have always been cautious on making use of Drag and Drop with VirtualBox when I was aware before that it was an ongoing issue with it. Miraculously, it worked just fine when copying a file from the Windows XP VM to the host but for Windows 2000, it's a different story. No matter of using "Bidirectional" or "Guest to Host", I get this error message upon doing it:
Drag and drop operation from guest to host failed.

Drag and drop error from host (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: GuestWrap
Interface: IGuest {13a11514-402e-022e-6180-c3944de3f9c8}
Is there a way to get round this? And just so anyone knows, I use VirtualBox 5.0.24 (though I am aware of a newer version out, I didn't bother installing it for now unless I need to). Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Might want to append the log for the VM also, in case I get scolded for not providing it again like last time.
Attachments
Win2000-2016-09-29-07-20-12.log
(95.04 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Sandshark

Re: Win2000 Drag and Drop error

Post by Sandshark »

I'm on 5.1.2 with a Win7x64 host and have the same issue. I don't even get an error message (maybe don't know where to look, but nothing displayed or in the log), it just doesn't work. I re-installed guest additions, and still no-go. I get a circle/slash "do not" symbol trying to go host to guest and it just moves the image to the edge of the desktop going from guest to host. Log file correctly shows if I change the drag-and-drop mode.

This guest was originally created under 4.x, if that matters. I have not tried creating a new one from scratch. VirtualBox tray icon is also not visible (seems to be common when other guest additions are not working). The VBOXTRAY.exe process runs for a couple minutes, then disappears from the task monitor.

Also, FWIW, drag-and-drop is working fine on XP, Win7, and Win10 guests but not on NT4.0 (though the tray icon does appear there).
Bry89

Post by Bry89 »

Sandshark wrote:Also, FWIW, drag-and-drop is working fine on XP, Win7, and Win10 guests but not on NT4.0 (though the tray icon does appear there).
Yes, I knew that it was working just fine for the XP guest I have. I'm not sure how this can be rectified, or is there an alternate way to get round it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There is a guide that can help you troubleshoot this: Investigating drag and drop (DnD) problems. Please read it and take appropriate action.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bry89

Post by Bry89 »

Well, I had came up one way to get round this... and that is by using a disposable email address where I can use that to send anything to my own. I know it's a bit odd but, just thought of that yesterday. I know using a shared folder would be one thing also but I wanted to do this the easiest way. For the guide, thanks for providing it but I didn't have the time to read through it. Maybe some other time.

Howevr, I really want it fixed for a future VirtualBox release unless it has been addressed already.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Bry89 wrote:I wanted to do this the easiest way
Seriously? Sending data that you want to share via e-mail to a disposable address is easier compared to the shared folders option? I would say that you have a deep misunderstanding of the issue, but I can't make that assessment because obviously you haven't tried the shared folders option. Please do. You'll thank the VirtualBox team for creating them!

Do you know that DnD is a fairly recent addition and that people have been using shared folders for years and years successfully?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bry89

Post by Bry89 »

I did use it before, but not as much. Also, I wasn't aware that the feature was only new so, my apologies :oops: