Link to Shared folders is lost after installing a new Win 10 build

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Rostis

Link to Shared folders is lost after installing a new Win 10 build

Post by Rostis »

Every time I install as guest a new Windows 10 build in a Win 7 or Win 10 host I lose connection with a shared folder in the Win 7 or Win 10 host.
To get it back I have to uninstall Guest Additions, reboot, install Guest additions again and reboot. After that the Shared folder in the host shows up in the Win 10 guest. Why so and why haven’t I seen anybody else complain about this misbehavior? Am I the only person in the world with this problem?
Last edited by Rostis on 30. Sep 2016, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Link to Shared folders is lost after installing a new Win 10 build

Post by BillG »

You could be. Many people (including me) would never think of running the newest build of Windows 10 in a vm because the Guest Additions would have been written for (and tested on) an earlier version. Also not everyone uses shared folders.

Using the newest build can be risky in any circumstances. You should expect unusual things to happen.
Bill
Rostis

Post by Rostis »

BillG wrote:You could be. Many people (including me) would never think of running the newest build of Windows 10 in a vm because the Guest Additions would have been written for (and tested on) an earlier version. Also not everyone uses shared folders.
Using the newest build can be risky in any circumstances. You should expect unusual things to happen.
Well I am an "Insider" in the "Fast Ring" so as I am interested in to follow the development of Win 10. I often have to upgrade the current build to a new fresh one in the latest/current version of VB and VB Guest additions. Since July 2015 there have been several Win10 builds and everytime after upgrade the link to the shared folder in the host is broken. To get it back I - as I wrote - have to uninstall and reinstall - and nothing more - the VB Guest additions. And nobody cares except me :-). VB is a perfect way to test new versions of Windows 10.
Last edited by Rostis on 30. Sep 2016, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Let me put it in another way; you're lucky it works. Think about it for a minute. The developers are getting their Windows newest builds the same time as you do. Maybe a little bit earlier, I don't know for sure if they have earlier access; let's assume they do. How much time to they have to test, correct, test again potential issues before fast ring users get their hands on the latest version? Not enough. And I didn't notice it on your posts, but I'm not sure you're in the "fast ring" for VirtualBox, i.e. the TestBuilds (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds).

It's the price to pay for being on the cutting edge. Expect heavy turbulence.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jagdpanther
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows10, Linux

Post by jagdpanther »

BillG wrote:You could be. Many people (including me) would never think of running the newest build of Windows 10 in a vm because the Guest Additions would have been written for (and tested on) an earlier version. Also not everyone uses shared folders.
I am having the same loss of shared folders. The uninstall, reboot, install, reboot of Guest additions fixed it for me also.

So how do I have Windows 10 Guest NOT update? (Guess I could play with the Linux host iptables or use VBox snapshots and revert.)
jagdpanther
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows10, Linux

Post by jagdpanther »

jagdpanther wrote: I am having the same loss of shared folders. The uninstall, reboot, install, reboot of Guest additions fixed it for me also.
So how do I have Windows 10 Guest NOT update? (Guess I could play with the Linux host iptables or use VBox snapshots and revert.)
I wrote too soon ... the reinstall of Guest additions TEMPORARILY fixes the issue. I also have had a few instances of the Win10 guest VM crashing.

I restored from a snapshot taken before the big Windows update and disabled external networking from the VM so Win10 won't update again and now my Windows 10 VM is working well.
I may try the following to procedures to stop the auto upgrades AND have normal network connection:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop-window ... g-your-pc/ and because it is not WiFi
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-your- ... indows-10/