Guest additions won't run on Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Dušan

Guest additions won't run on Windows 10

Post by Dušan »

Hello,

I installed guest additions on my Win10 VM, installation was OK, but nothing happened. I rebooted VM after installation and it haven't launched, so I wasn't able to use features as fullscreen. I looked up folder in Program files but I can't find any way to launch it. I'm using Virtualbox 5.1.6 and the same version of guest additions

Thanks for help :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest additions won't run on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Elizine

Post by Elizine »

Use of Windows Compatibility settings (or use /force) will not work: installer will run, but with no real effects.

Install VirtualBox 4.3.18 or newer. It has improved compatibility with Windows 10.

Note: Menu Help > Check for updates may not reflect the newest as being the latest. Download it manually instead.
bodHOST
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Elizine
The OP already said that they're running the latest as of this writing, 5.1.6. As for 4.3.18, that's way too old to play nice with Win10. The latest, the better.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I installed 5.1.6 today and had no problems installing the GAs on my Windows 10 guests, so it is not a general problem.
Bill