Automatic Window Resolution Sizing and Shared Folder

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ForFOAMsake

Automatic Window Resolution Sizing and Shared Folder

Post by ForFOAMsake »

Greetings!
I hope I am in the right place. I have a windows 10 machine, and virtualbox version 5.1.6 with a Linux distro of Leap 42.1. Up until today everything was working great until Leap had an update for the system. I should clarify I use this virtual machine for openFOAM simulations. I was able have the window resolution change dynamically with the window I had the VM running in, and I had set up a shared foldered to run my cases in. These two things were all I needed to use the VM. Now both of those things don't work, and they both stopped at the same time.

I am looking for anything I can give this community here to help me fix these two problems. I am fairly new to Linux so step by steps or log files to help others learn what to fix is what I am planning.

Resizing screen resolution with the VM window.

Share folder auto mounting and working.

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions with this!

Travis Evans
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Automatic Window Resolution Sizing and Shared Folder

Post by scottgus1 »

ForFOAMsake wrote:everything was working great until Leap had an update
I'd suspect that herein is your problem - Leap broke something.

Auto-screen-resizing and auto-mount shared folders are Guest Additions functions. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the Virtualbox Guest Additions from the ISO provided with Virtualbox.
ForFOAMsake

Post by ForFOAMsake »

Hello Everyone,

So I was just thinking I should mention more details here. When I installed virtual box I didn't install guest additions, I only installed Leap and then went into installing openFOAM and with a coworkers help set up a shared folder. Just like that I was off to the races! Everything was working until that update yesterday. Also now that I think about it, Windows 10 also did an update, I hope that doesn't matter. I have used virtualbox and this before with some older version and I recalled in that I needed guest additions, and I was surprised that here this last time I did this that I didn't need to, the VM just worked out of the box. Which was a nice surprise.

So in my infinite wisdom to try to fix things, I tried installing the latest guest additions, both from the windows side and in linux by running the auto.sh. Both methods failed to install. That is when I created the problem of the window not resizing.

That is some more information that I have.
Thank you again to anyone with ideas for me to try. And please let me know what log files or anything I can get to help you, help me fix this problem.

Travis Evans
ForFOAMsake

Post by ForFOAMsake »

Hi scottgus1,

That is a good idea. How can I uninstall in linux the guest additions? Do I have to do the same in windows? Or is there a way I could roll back a Leap update or something? For the life of me I couldn't find out how to do that.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I wouldn't know how to actually follow my own advice, unfortunately, I'm a Windows guy. :lol:
Try a Linux forum or a googling, they could help you a lot more.