Windows 10 Insider Preview Upgrade to 14xxx fails

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wye
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: Windows 10 Insider Preview Upgrade to 14926 fails

Post by wye »

EricMCSE76 wrote:Starting with build 14926 - the appear to be 2 issues.

1) The issue referenced by Microsoft in their known issues that VirtualBox crashes - this is specific to running Virtualbox as a host on that build, not running that build as a guest

2) When running the 14926 (and the newly released 14931) build as a guest - you get a bunch of garbled white blocks on the startup screen. The guest reboots itself twice and then you get the options to go into safe mode, restore previous build, etc. This appears to be a graphics driver related issue. I have found that if you get into that state - don't revert back to the prior build. Power off the guest, go into the display settings for the guest and check the box to enable 3D Acceleration. After that, the guest runs just fine with builds 14926 and 14931. I suspect VirtualBox needs to update the display driver so it works correctly without the additional acceleration option.
I get the same problem with build 14936. I agree that it started with build 14926 trying to update 14915.
There's some evidence suggesting that Windows / Windows Update doesn't like the Video Driver for VBox.
I've been able to install these builds only by making an .ISO of the appropriate .ESD file and doing a clean install on top of the old installation.
So long as the Windows Update program isn't involved, it seems we get a good "build" of the OS. However, this is a rather tedious process.

I'm pretty convinced that with build 14926, something changed in the Windows Video Driver area that made the Update program go crash. The only temporary workaround I've found is to go to advanced troubleshooting and choose reduced resolution (#3) and this allows a reasonable boot. Really clumsy though.

The 2D/3D Acceleration options don't help. In fact, I've found that the 3D Acceleration causes the boot process to stall; I had to kill the VM and get rid of the 3D option before I could manage any kind of boot.

I need to add that after doing the install and configuring things, I've installed Guest Additions for VBox 5.0.26 and the thing still runs. However, I seriously doubt that an update to the next Insider Build will work -- unless uninstalling the VBox Video Driver will cure the problem.
wye

Post by wye »

wye wrote:
EricMCSE76 wrote:Starting with build 14926 - the appear to be 2 issues.

1) The issue referenced by Microsoft in their known issues that VirtualBox crashes - this is specific to running Virtualbox as a host on that build, not running that build as a guest

2) When running the 14926 (and the newly released 14931) build as a guest - you get a bunch of garbled white blocks on the startup screen. The guest reboots itself twice and then you get the options to go into safe mode, restore previous build, etc. This appears to be a graphics driver related issue. I have found that if you get into that state - don't revert back to the prior build. Power off the guest, go into the display settings for the guest and check the box to enable 3D Acceleration. After that, the guest runs just fine with builds 14926 and 14931. I suspect VirtualBox needs to update the display driver so it works correctly without the additional acceleration option.
I get the same problem with build 14936. I agree that it started with build 14926 trying to update 14915.
There's some evidence suggesting that Windows / Windows Update doesn't like the Video Driver for VBox.
I've been able to install these builds only by making an .ISO of the appropriate .ESD file and doing a clean install on top of the old installation.
So long as the Windows Update program isn't involved, it seems we get a good "build" of the OS. However, this is a rather tedious process.

I'm pretty convinced that with build 14926, something changed in the Windows Video Driver area that made the Update program go crash. The only temporary workaround I've found is to go to advanced troubleshooting and choose reduced resolution (#3) and this allows a reasonable boot. Really clumsy though.

The 2D/3D Acceleration options don't help. In fact, I've found that the 3D Acceleration causes the boot process to stall; I had to kill the VM and get rid of the 3D option before I could manage any kind of boot.

I need to add that after doing the install and configuring things, I've installed Guest Additions for VBox 5.0.26 and the thing still runs. However, I seriously doubt that an update to the next Insider Build will work -- unless uninstalling the VBox Video Driver will cure the problem.
Following up, I've used the Display Adapter Rollback function in Device Manager to uninstall the VBox Video Driver and the Insider Updates work. As I recall, there was at least one junk splash screen during the process but the install was successful, and the product worked. I then re-installed Client Additions and everything worked pretty much normally.

My conclusion is that it's not Windows 10 per-se that is causing this problem but rather the "Insider Update" code that's hitting on the Video system because normal updates (i.e., Windows Defender KBs) are installing without any difficulty. I can't speak to other "on-premises" updates such as Office or the like but I have noticed that when the "Insider Update" code is NOT involved, updates work normally even with the VBox Video Driver in-place.

Your mileage may vary...
:)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Insider Preview Upgrade to 14xxx fails

Post by socratis »

I don't know if this applies, but I bumped into this: Microsoft on Windows 10 Anniversary install fail: 'We're finalizing a fix'.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wye

Post by wye »

Build 14942 was released a few days ago and it appears that this build at least partially solves the video driver problem.
WITH Client Additions installed and running with the VBOX Video driver, it upgrades Build 14936 AND 14915 on my system.
There remain a few video anomalies but the Insider Build Update Installer doesn't crash on build 14942 -- on my system.

If you've been having problems with Builds 14915, 14926, 14931, 14936, try again with 14942... It works for me!
EricMCSE76
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu 20, Windows 3.1

Post by EricMCSE76 »

wye wrote:Build 14942 was released a few days ago and it appears that this build at least partially solves the video driver problem.
WITH Client Additions installed and running with the VBOX Video driver, it upgrades Build 14936 AND 14915 on my system.
There remain a few video anomalies but the Insider Build Update Installer doesn't crash on build 14942 -- on my system.

If you've been having problems with Builds 14915, 14926, 14931, 14936, try again with 14942... It works for me!
I've been running 14942 - just tried shutting down and turning off the 3D acceleration. The same issue with the white bars at the login screen / system reboots and goes into repair mode. Powered it off / re-enabled 3D and it's back up and running. Client additions are current and I'm running the VBOX video driver.

Has anyone tried the pre-release test builds of VirtualBox to see if the issue has been corrected in those?
gianluigi.zanettini

Post by gianluigi.zanettini »

I found this topic Googling for the same issue. I can confirm that enabling both 2D and 3D acceleration effectively fixed the problem for me.
ScottPEI

Post by ScottPEI »

I have the same login screen as described here, however, I also have the "white rectangles" in the Start Menu and in all dialogue boxes. So I can't read them enough to try the change resolution fix. Help!
Kevin565

Post by Kevin565 »

EricMCSE76 wrote:enable 3D Acceleration.
Hey! It worked! Thank you! Thank you very much!
zatz

Post by zatz »

Just in case anyone else is still having problems with this, on wacher's advice in https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15973 I uninstalled the Display Adapter driver in Device Manager, shutdown, switched off the 3D Acceleration in the VirtualBox settings, restarted. Everything works fine. When I check the Display Adapter in Device Manager, it's back to the VirtualBox one. So something obviously got mucked up when the problems started, and it needed the driver to be uninstalled to fix it.