Problem installing VirtualBox 5.1.6

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
anbasch

Problem installing VirtualBox 5.1.6

Post by anbasch »

Today in class we were asked to install VirtualBox on our computers and, surprisingly, I was the only one not able to do it. When using Windows Installer everything goes okay until the last part, where it crashes. The error: "rolling back action" and "Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.1.6 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error". I've been reading solutions all day (mainly from this same forum), but can't find any that works. Also, I'm conscious that this may not be an error of VB, but an error of Windows Installer (as mentioned in another post). I've also tried fixing the problem approaching it from that angle, but nothing has worked either. I really need to fix this, as the class assignment is due this Friday. I'm running Windows 10. Thank you in advance.
PD: Sorry for any grammar mistakes, English is not my first language.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem installing VirtualBox 5.1.6

Post by socratis »

You are correct, this is not a VirtualBox problem, this is a problem with the Windows installer. The installation of VirtualBox is the symptom. I would turn my attention to Microsoft's forums and/or other Windows related sites. Microsoft itself has solutions on how to clear their installation database. Unfortunately I don't have any links available.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The first step would be to turn on logging for the MSI installer. Google that, then post the log that is generated, in a zip folder.
anbasch

Post by anbasch »

As mentioned in other posts, the problem was Kaspersky Internet Secutiry anti virus. Uninstalling it, and then installing VB, worked perfectly. Just posting this, so more people come to know about the issue between Kaspersky and VB. Thanks to all of you that answer my post! Cheers.
lvzhthhx

Post by lvzhthhx »

Good point, I met the similar issue and I will try it again.