Windows 7-64 Guest Crashes Spontaneously

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dbk2vboxorg
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro SP3

Windows 7-64 Guest Crashes Spontaneously

Post by dbk2vboxorg »

Dating to late July or early August 2016, VirtualBox has sporadically and abruptly crashed several times. Hard to recall the exact number, but perhaps between 8 and 10. In all cases, clicking on some object (a button, typically) caused the Windows 7 guest OS window to disappear instantly. The VBox Manager reports the status of the OS guest as “Aborted”.

The above is the opening paragraph in a text file (uploaded) that I hope describes my operating environment and three crash instances in detail; the format is rather crude, but I am not permitted to upload the original .docx file. Also uploaded is a .zip file with several VBox logs whose names hopefully describe their date/time and OK/Crash status; the description .docx is included therein.

I am VERY happy to provide more information to describe the situation. Also, if my description in the uploaded files is inaccessible, I will try to summarize it in a more direct post.

Hoping for your help out there with my thanks.
Attachments
VBoxLogs.zip
(183.06 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
VBoxCrash20160912.txt
(8.33 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 7-64 Guest Crashes Spontaneously

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.4_OSE r110228 linux.amd64 (Aug 22 2016 23:24:52) release log
It seems you're not using the "official" version from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads. Could you test with the one you download from there? BTW, 5.1.6 just came out, so be sure to try that one. Oh, and see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78750 for similar information.

PS. Too much information. That was half of "War and Peace" in the zip. Next time just start with the Minimum information needed for assistance and we'll see what we'll need from there. If we were to spent 1 hour per post, you'll never get a response... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dbk2vboxorg

Post by dbk2vboxorg »

OK, I'll throttle back on the detail in the future (<g>).

True, I'm running 5.1.4 right now. My host OS is Arch Linux and I've been installing and maintaining all my applications through its pacman package manager. Latest VBox version available through that channel is 5.1.4 (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q=virtualbox). I looked at the download link you suggested and I'm not sure which Linux version is appropriate. Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora versions are listed, but not Arch. What do you recommend?

Thanks for your guidance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I know that you run Arch and I imagined that you use pacman. The thing is that with package managers (pacman) you're getting the Arch fork, which is not supported here. That is why I directed you to another thread, where another Arch user had the exact same questions, he got the official VirtualBox version and it actually solved their problem.

I was too bored to repeat a very nice set of instructions ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dbk2vboxorg

Post by dbk2vboxorg »

Excellent. I'll look in to that (and thanks for the clarification).