Resize HD Size in Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
djurden

Resize HD Size in Windows 10

Post by djurden »

I have a Windows 10 Guest with VirtualBox running on a Windows 10 Host.

I ran VirtualBox manage to increase the VDI from 100 GB to 150 GB. It completed without errors.

When I look at the settings of the VM, it shows the hard drive has been increased to 150 GB. When I start up the VM and go to Computer Management and try to increase the size of the hard drive, it does not show that there is additional space available; the size is still the original size.

Am I missing a step?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Resize HD Size in Windows 10

Post by BillG »

I presume you mean disk management, not computer management.

You cannot increase the disk size from there, but you are in the right place. To use the extra space you have to increase the size of an existing partition or create a new partition in the new space. Windows cannot use the extra space until you do.
Bill
robtp

Post by robtp »

Hi,

I am having the same problem. However I am using vdi windows10 files and after increasing to 150GB the windows file system still shows the original 100GB file size.
After gparted to increase the ext4 partition to approx 150GB the actual size is still 100GB. Also in the guest OS (ubuntu in my case) after mounting this partition df still show approx 100GB.
How to increase the windows 10 file size to the "virtual" size of 150GB? (Virtual box machine info also shows actual size 100GB and virtual size 150GB)

update: the gparted version in 12.04 did not actual resized the partition correctly; also not when using check. Using the version in 16.04 gives me a warning that the size is incorrect and actually advises to check; after check the VM now shows the correct partition size of approx 150GB!!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

For future searchers, and since it hasn't been mentioned so far, there is a FAQ available: How to resize a Virtual Drive.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.