error help

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
cowman

error help

Post by cowman »

I need some help with this error

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine SAS University Edition.

The configuration constructor in main failed due to a COM error. Check the release log of the VM for further details. (VERR_MAIN_CONFIG_CONSTRUCTOR_COM_ERROR).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

thanks in advance
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: error help

Post by socratis »

cowman wrote:Check the release log of the VM for further details.
And???
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This seems like the VirtualBox software is not properly installed. Use "Run as administrator", and install for the the correct final user.

I'm not sure what "release log of the VM" means. VMs have run logs, not release logs. A screenshot of the error might help.
Elizine

Post by Elizine »

VirtualBox is throwing this error for a number of reasons. It's the same requirement it's just that the root cause is different.

Potential reasons:

1. You haven't enabled VT-x in VirtualBox and it's required for the VM.
To enable: open vbox, click the VM, click Settings..., System->Acceleration->VT-x check box.
2. You haven't enabled VT-x in BIOS and it's required.
Check your motherboard manual but you basically want to enter your BIOS just after the machine turns on (usually DEL key, F2, F12 etc) and find "Advanced" tag, enter "CPU configuration", then enable "Intel Virtualization Technology".
3. Your processor doesn't support VT-x (eg a Core i3).
In this case your BIOS and VirtualBox shouldn't allow you to try and enable VT-x (but if they do, you'll likely get a crash in the VM).
4. Your trying to install or boot a 64 bit guest OS.
I think 64 bit OS requires true CPU pass-through which requires VT-x. (A VM expert can comment on this point).
5. You are trying to allocate >3GB of RAM to the VM.
Similar to the previous point, this requires: (a) a 64 bit host system; and (b) true hardware pass-through ie VT-x.
I got success after installing: 32 bit version of linux, allocating 2.5GB RAM.

Oh, and wherever I say "VT-x" above, that obviously applies equally to AMD's "AMD-V" virtualization tech.

I hope that helps.
bodHOST
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Maybe I'm being dumb today, but I don't see a connection between that answer and the question asked. COM errors are where the core software can't run because it can find all of the installed components. VT-x problems arise with specific VMs which need VT-x: the software itself is running just fine.