Differentiate between two network adapters with the same name

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
patgro

Differentiate between two network adapters with the same name

Post by patgro »

Hi guys,

I'm currently setting up a VM for test purposes. I installed two 10G cards on my Windows 7 PC and want to use them in the VM as bridged network adapter. However, both card do have the same name. In my Virtual Box settings I only see the first one. Is there a way to be able to use both in my VM?

The first one is called Solarflare Flareon Ultra 7000 Series 10G Adapter, the second one is Solarflare Flareon Ultra 7000 Series 10G Adapter #2 (that is the friendly name in the register)

In virtual box, I only see Solarflare Flareon Ultra 7000 Series 10G Adapter

Thanks,

If needed, i'll post picture of that tomorrow since I am not allowed to post links at the current time...
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Differentiate between two network adapters with the same name

Post by Martin »

Did you verify that the second adapter also has the Virtualbox bridging protocol active in the configuration?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

patgro wrote:However, both card do have the same name.
Surely not. Windows (e.g. Win7 and later) always calls the second one "Whatever the first one was called (2)".
patgro

Post by patgro »

You are actually right! I changed the friendly name in the register to something else and I still do not see it in Virtual Box. Martin was actually right. The bridged driver was disabled in the configuration of the card. Sorry I feel dumb now!

Thanks a lot!