Windows 10 Guest freezes after a while

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Tekky

Windows 10 Guest freezes after a while

Post by Tekky »

Hi everyone,
I have several Windows 10 x64 Professional guests in VirtualBox 5.0.20. All of them had been Windows 7 Pro resp. Ultimate x64 before. I upgraded them to Windows 10. Cannot remember any problems during the upgrade process.
Problem is that all of my Windows 10 guests start and behave normally but after a while, say 15 minutes to 1 hour after startup, they suddenly freeze. Without notice. Nothing can be done but resetting the machine.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a work around?

Greetings from Hamburg
Dierk
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Guest freezes after a while

Post by socratis »

Can you please check and disable any power-management options in your guest? Please follow up. If that doesn't work, please read: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tekky

Post by Tekky »

Thanky you very much, socratis, I checked the power settings and set all of them to maximum performance.
One thing else: In one of my virtual machines where I experienced this bad behavior I found out that the guest additions were outdated (Rev. 5.0.16). In the device control panel I had noticed a problem marker on the graphics card; after updating the guest additions to 5.0.20 there is no marker any longer :). In the meantime my VM is up an running, without any problems. Looks like the problem is solved.
Thanks once again for your support!

Grettings,
Tekky
Tekky

Post by Tekky »

Alas, happy too early! Machine still freezes. Power options are set to max performance.
Following the VirtualBox profile:
Host OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 10.0.10586, RAM: 16 Gb, CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
VM OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 10.0.10586, RAM 3.72 Gb
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tekky, I thought it was going to work for a minute... I don't really know what you mean by "marker" in your previous post, but I will assume that you mean an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle (?). In any event, from the "Minimum information needed for assistance", there is the VBox.log missing. Here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not suspended, not paused. Shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager.
  5. Select "Show Log..."
  6. Save it (just the first log, VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tekky

Post by Tekky »

Hi socratis,

thanks a lot for your assistance. Firstly yes, by 'marker' I meant a yellow triangle. I was happy not seeing this next to the graphics adapter in the device control panel any longer. When I first attempted to upgrade to Windows 10 from within my Win7 VM by clicking on the white window icon in the taskbar trunk I received an error message telling me that the oracle virtual graphics adapter/the monitor was not supported by Win10. That's why I upgraded the machine by means of the 'media creation tool' from Microsoft, and that did the job.
Now, I will follow your instructions as to generate the log and post it.

Sp long, greetings,
Dierk
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tekky wrote:Power options are set to max performance.
One thing that I should have mentioned (actually, I'm "copying" the steps to have them for a future "paste"):
  1. Log in as an administrator in the guest. Not required, but it will make your life a lot easier.
  2. Go to "Settings", "System", "Power & Sleep", "Additional Power Settings" (you can also get here by the traditional "Control Panel").
  3. If you don't see the "High Performance" option, click on the "Show additional plans". Choose the "High Performance" option. Choose "Change plan settings".
  4. Change the Display settings for powering off the display to "Never". "Save changes". Close the dialog.
  5. Right-click on the desktop, "Personalize", "Lock Screen", "Screen saver settings", change the screen-saver to "None".
Tekky

Post by Tekky »

hi socratis,

I had already set power options to 'high performance', Just checked that also the lock screen settings were set as suggested. They are.
Currently I am waiting for the machine to freeze. It has been running now for two and a half hours by now, with times of various activities and times of idle and it is still up and running. This is rare because I didn't change anything (I remember) since the last time the machine froze in :|
Anyway, I will continue to watch and come back here as soon as there are news.

Greetings
Dierk
Tekky

Post by Tekky »

hi socratis,

good news: I had my machine up and running for several hours without any problems.

Today I upgraded another VM from Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit to Windows 10. Before I did that I changed the energy options to max performance and lock screen timout to never. Nevertheless this machine froze in once. I closed the machine and saved the log file. You may find it enclosed. After that I changed the OS type in VirtualBox Manager to Windows 10-64 and started the machine again. It has been running for some while by now, and it looks and feels stable.

Thanks for your help,
Greetings
Dierk
Attachments
DTWin7OL2016-2016-06-06-10-09-06.zip
(31.35 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Tekky

Post by Tekky »

Hi altogether,
I have a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit guest machine with power saving settings to maximum performance and monitor timeout set to never. Nevertheless after some while of regular beaviour, that machine erractically stops responding. One time this happened on moving the explorer window on the desktop, another time that happens during idle time.The only option was close ... and power down by ACPI event. I enclose the machine log from right after closing the machine.

Greetings
Dierk
Attachments
DTWinOL2016-2016-06-08-10-34-08.zip
(25.11 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

In your last post you mentioned at the end "It has been running for some while by now, and it looks and feels stable.", so I didn't even bother to download the log. I did now, both of them. Here's the first thing that I noticed:
00:00:02.037432 File system of 'W:\VirtualBox\Machines\DTWinOL2016\DTWinOL2016.vdi' is ntfs
What's the W:\ drive? Network? USB? Something else?
Tekky

Post by Tekky »

Sorry for late reply. Drive W:\ is a partition on the host.

Greetings
Dierk
mporternl

Post by mporternl »

Any resolve for this issue?

I've been experiencing the same issues. I've been running this Windows 10 box under VirtualBox for quite some time but now it's freezing constantly. I've tried adjusting the powersaving settings, reinstalling VMware Tools but no resolve yet. I can't seem to pinpoint what's causing it to lock.

It started after I upgraded to VirtualBox 5.0.20-106931 (Previously 5.0.14-105127 I think) and installing the latest Windows 10 updates (10586.420)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

mporternl wrote:reinstalling VMware Tools
VMware tools will at least not help a Virtualbox guest and may cause problems for it.
mporternl

Post by mporternl »

scottgus1 wrote:
mporternl wrote:reinstalling VMware Tools
VMware tools will at least not help a Virtualbox guest and may cause problems for it.
This was my mistake, I said "VMware Tools" where I meant to say "Oracle VirtualBox Guest Additions". I do not have VMware Tools installed nor was this machine ever in or near a VMware environment, just my brain and fingers not synced correctly.

I've also noted that VirtualBox-5.0.22-108108 has just been posted. Updating to that version to see if any bugs are squashed.