Support for middle mouse button (3rd button)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Sundowner

Support for middle mouse button (3rd button)

Post by Sundowner »

Hello,

I have a 5 button + scroll wheel mouse (Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 USB) and I want to use the middle (3rd) mouse button or scrollwheel as doubleclick in my guest system. Before VirtualBox 5.0 (versions 4.3.x) that was no problem and the middle mouse button was detected.
I use the 3rd party software "X-Mouse Button Control" (highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm) to assign mouse buttons to functions, but in VirtualBox 5.0.x the middle mouse button is only detected as left mouse button. Same goes for the scroll wheel.

The USB filter for the mouse does not work either, besides this is not an option for me because I want to use the mouse in the host and guest system.
Is there a solution?

VirtualBox 5.0.20 r106931 with installed Extension Pack
Host: Windows 7 SP1 64Bit
Guest: Windows 7 SP1 64Bit
nurbles

Re: Support for middle mouse button (3rd button)

Post by nurbles »

Has anyone ever managed to get this to work? I'm finding questions, but no solutions.

I currently have pretty much the exact same issue, but with Win 10 pro and virtual box 6.1.26

The wheel button is acting as if I am pressing and holding the left button down. So it does things like dragging a program icon around the desktop instead of running the program (as the double-click I've configured X-Mouse Button Control to be would've done) or starting a stream selecting in an editor.

It makes me crazy and makes the VM almost unusable because I've been relying on the middle button click in "real" machines (and in VMWare which I had used in the past) for my double-clicks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Support for middle mouse button (3rd button)

Post by mpack »

nurbles wrote:Has anyone ever managed to get this to work? I'm finding questions, but no solutions.
Note that the original post is from 2016, and the reason it got no reply is possibly that no-one else reproduced the problem.

Indeed I just tested a 3D viewer running inside a Windows 11 guest in VBox 6.1.28, and the middle mouse button works perfectly: the scroll wheel zooms in and out and holding the wheel down (i.e. middle button down) does what it should. That app makes limited use of the middle button otherwise (few apps do IME), so I next went to a mouse-test website inside the VM, and that too appears to show the mouse behaving correctly.

I see in other posts that you are migrating from VMWare: make sure you do not have any VMWare tools running inside the VM. ISTR these are known to interfere with the mouse and keyboard.