Trouble downloading win 8.1 image

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Hepburn

Trouble downloading win 8.1 image

Post by Hepburn »

I've tried to download win 8.1 for Ubuntu and have been having trouble.

Firstly the download failed a few times and then I tried with one manager (can't remember the name) and it still failed. Tried with Flareget and the download completed, seemingly successfully, but when I look at the file it says it is 0 bytes in size and I can't open it. I've tried it on 2 different machines and the same thing keeps happening. What is going on?

I managed to download the win 7 version before on the same setup and that worked..except for the endless looping bugging when I try and get into safe mode. Hence the 8.1 upgrade.
Anybody else being having trouble with this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trouble downloading win 8.1 image

Post by socratis »

And why exactly do you believe that this is a VirtualBox problem? I don't see the relevance...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hepburn

Post by Hepburn »

I'm not suggesting it is a virtualbox bug..but this is the place where people who are trying to install windows guests come right? ie would be trying to download the same file..so it seems a fair place to ask if anybody else has been having the same problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Hepburn wrote: ie would be trying to download the same file..so it seems a fair place to ask
Not really. This is the place to ask question after you've successfully downloaded the file and you're having trouble making a VM out of it. If we were starting answering questions about non-VirtualBox related questions, we'd be swarmed.

This is a very specific problem with your host, your download manager and the site that you're trying to download it from. You didn't even mention the site that so we could at least test it. I'd ask at the Ubuntu forums, the download manager forums, or the site that you're downloading it from.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.