[Solved] Printer problem with Win 10 guest via RDP

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
TypeScript

[Solved] Printer problem with Win 10 guest via RDP

Post by TypeScript »

I have two setups: Win 7 guests on Win 7 host and Win 10 guests on Win 10 host. In both cases I was not able to redirect local network printer when access guest via RDP, is it even possible to redirect network printer to the guest?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Printer problem with Win 10 guest via RDP

Post by mpack »

"Redirect"? No. The network printer will be accessible to the VM if the VM is on the appropriate network. There is no redirection to another network.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

In the MS RDP connection settings window, "Local Resources" tab, there are options to redirect a printer attached to the PC one is RDPing from to the PC one is RDPing into. So the PC one is remoting into could print to the printer sitting at one's side.

You would at least have to be using MS RDP at both ends of the connection, not Virtualbox's RDP server. If you are using MS RDP at both ends, then try troubleshooting as if you are running two physical PCs.
TypeScript

Post by TypeScript »

scottgus1 wrote:In the MS RDP connection settings window, "Local Resources" tab, there are options to redirect a printer attached to the PC one is RDPing from to the PC one is RDPing into. So the PC one is remoting into could print to the printer sitting at one's side.

You would at least have to be using MS RDP at both ends of the connection, not Virtualbox's RDP server. If you are using MS RDP at both ends, then try troubleshooting as if you are running two physical PCs.
I did adjust HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > TerminalServer > WinStations > RDP-Tcp and redirected port. And I checked Printer option, I also adjust fairwall settings and redirect port for RDP.
I am using Remote Display for guest is it incorrect?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > TerminalServer > WinStations > RDP-Tcp does change the port number for MS RDP within the OS itself. You would access the MS RDP in the guest via the guest's network name or IP address and the port you chose.

Virtualbox also has an RDP server, called "Remote Display" in the guest's Display settings, which interacts with the guest screen and I believe does NOT have the printer redirection. Virtualbox's RDP allows remote access to guests that don't have network or a built-in remote desktop program. The Virtualbox RDP server is accessed using the host's IP address and the port chosen in the guest's "Remote Display" settings. If this is the RDP you are using you will probably not be able to attach the printer.
TypeScript

Post by TypeScript »

So, as I understand I have to disable Remote Display? Do I have to use NAT with port redirection or just Bridge?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You don't have to disable Virtualbox's Remote Display. You do have to remote into the guest OS itself, not through Virtualbox. If you have your guest set to Bridged, then the guest will get an IP address in your host's network address range from your network router or domain controller. This will be the easiest arrangement to remote into, and you can google for how to set up port forwarding in your router, treating the guest as just another PC on the network.

If you go with NAT, you'll have ports to forward in Virtualbox as well as ports in the network router, with associated increased difficulty.
TypeScript

Post by TypeScript »

Thanks, will try it tonight.
TypeScript

Post by TypeScript »

Thanks, it is working just fine!