VBoxClient slowing my machine

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bernat@i2cat

VBoxClient slowing my machine

Post by Bernat@i2cat »

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspirion 13 - 700 series with the virtual support ennabled (both general and I/O direct access). I am in windows running a Debian VM.

At the begining everything works fine, but after some seconds/minutes the VBoxClient and Xorg tasks starts to consume 50% of the CPU slowing down the VM to a limit where I can not work with. I have read that de VBoxClient appears because of no hardware support, but as I said, I have the hardware enabled...
I attach the log file.

Someone can give me a clue of what is happening?
Attachments
VBox.log
(97.03 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBoxClient slowing my machine

Post by socratis »

Bernat@i2cat wrote:I have read that de VBoxClient appears because of no hardware support, but as I said, I have the hardware enabled...
Did you read that in a blog somewhere or in a youtube video? Because there is no way you read that in the official documentation, because it isn't true.

Now, from the logs:
00:00:02.695445 Guest OS type: 'Linux24'
Select the appropriate template for your guest. There is a specific template for both 32- and 64-bit Debian.
00:00:02.819019   NumCPUs           <integer> = 0x0000000000000002 (2)
00:00:06.465766 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
You have 2 cores and you assign both of them to the guest. Lower the virtual CPUs of your guest to 1. And please don't argue that you have 4 CPUs, before reading about it and understanding the difference between cores and threads.
00:00:19.849444 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.0.16 r105871 '5.0.16'
You need to update your guest additions to the version of VirtualBox that you're using, 5.0.20. And do not forget to eject the virtual CD after you're done with the installation of the GAs, like you have now.

Next time you post a log, first shut down the VM. Not paused, not suspended, fully shut-down, otherwise the VBox.log gets truncated.

And finally, you talk about 50% CPU consumption. Is that on the guest? Is the guest doing anything like indexing, updating or any other background tasks? What does 'top' tell you?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bernat@i2cat

Re: VBoxClient slowing my machine

Post by Bernat@i2cat »

Thanks it works much better with your suggestions