Win7 can't preview pictures

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
York

Win7 can't preview pictures

Post by York »

Hey guys,my problem is Win7 in VBox5.0.12 had installed the addition package and opend the 3D accelerate,but i can't previewe the pictures such as jpg,png,and Win7 reports the COM Surrogate Stop working. If i close the 3D accelerate ,it will be normal working. Has anyone else encountered such a situation
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win7 can't preview pictures

Post by mpack »

You need to talk to Microsoft if you have software problems with Windows.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

York, are you saying that when 3D is enabled, you can't preview pictures, but when 3D is off you can preview?

Since toggling a Virtualbox graphics setting makes the guest OS stop working in a certain graphics way, I would diagnose this as, at least, a glitch involving Virtualbox.

First I would try a fresh Windows 7 install in another guest with 3D enabled, and see if the same thing happens. No need to activate Windows, just test the preview. If preview works fine with 3D enabled in the fresh guest, then the issue resides within the first guest itself. It may be a failed Guest Additions install, or a failure in a Windows file. If the issue happens in the second guest, too, then we may need more info.

I believe 3D is experimental, so there may be glitches. If the issue happens in the second test guest, you will need to provide logs, see Minimum info needed. A log with 3D off, from boot to previewing a picture to complete shutdown, then another log from boot to not being able to preview then complete shutdown. Zip the logs & attach them to the forum using the "Upload Attachment" tab. If one of the gurus here can't see an obvious solution, you may need to put the info on the Bugtracker.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

A windows guest doesn't need 3D acceleration to display an image, so I don't see how that can be relevant. If the OS couldn't display simple graphics then the Windows GUI couldn't start at all.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@York
Had you done a quick search for "COM Surrogate" or "COM Surrogate has stopped working" you 1) would have found what is COM Surrogate (hint: an Explorer helper application to generate thumbnails) and 2) potential instructions on how to fix it. Also, please update to the latest VirtualBox (5.0.20 as of this writing).

Since this process relies on a variety of codecs to generate thumbnails for a variety of formats, it is not surprising that one of them may require 3D acceleration, for unknown reasons. Just remember the issues caused sometimes if Chrome hardware acceleration and 3D acceleration are enabled.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
York

Post by York »

mpack wrote:You need to talk to Microsoft if you have software problems with Windows.
Sorry,but if i close the 3D,the JPG works well. So this should be caused by the 3D,may be the 3D supported not well.
York

Post by York »

socratis wrote:@York
Had you done a quick search for "COM Surrogate" or "COM Surrogate has stopped working" you 1) would have found what is COM Surrogate (hint: an Explorer helper application to generate thumbnails) and 2) potential instructions on how to fix it. Also, please update to the latest VirtualBox (5.0.20 as of this writing).

Since this process relies on a variety of codecs to generate thumbnails for a variety of formats, it is not surprising that one of them may require 3D acceleration, for unknown reasons. Just remember the issues caused sometimes if Chrome hardware acceleration and 3D acceleration are enabled.
I have tried to fix the COM Surrogate referred to how to fix it but it doesn't work. And I had tried VBox5.0.12、5.0.16、5.0.20 All of them have this problem.
York

Post by York »

scottgus1 wrote:York, are you saying that when 3D is enabled, you can't preview pictures, but when 3D is off you can preview?

Since toggling a Virtualbox graphics setting makes the guest OS stop working in a certain graphics way, I would diagnose this as, at least, a glitch involving Virtualbox.

First I would try a fresh Windows 7 install in another guest with 3D enabled, and see if the same thing happens. No need to activate Windows, just test the preview. If preview works fine with 3D enabled in the fresh guest, then the issue resides within the first guest itself. It may be a failed Guest Additions install, or a failure in a Windows file. If the issue happens in the second guest, too, then we may need more info.

I believe 3D is experimental, so there may be glitches. If the issue happens in the second test guest, you will need to provide logs, see Minimum info needed. A log with 3D off, from boot to previewing a picture to complete shutdown, then another log from boot to not being able to preview then complete shutdown. Zip the logs & attach them to the forum using the "Upload Attachment" tab. If one of the gurus here can't see an obvious solution, you may need to put the info on the Bugtracker.
Thanks a lot for your advice
Actually, at beginning I thought it's so simple ,there may be something wrong in my VirtualBox,but when i installed VBox on another Physical host and all guest OS(Win7) was fresh, the BUG still be here. Therefor i submit this question here.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Can you confirm that you get this problem with both PNG and JPG images?

I can sort of accept that a JPEG viewer might use graphics acceleration to speed up cosine transform decoding, but PNG has nothing like that. PNG is about as close to generic graphics as I can imagine. I can think of no reason why Windows would be unable to paint pixels inside a PNG preview panel, but is perfectly happy to paint pixels on the desktop say.

As far as I can see you haven't yet told us which preview feature you're referring to. Are you talking about the shell preview feature?
York

Post by York »

mpack wrote:Can you confirm that you get this problem with both PNG and JPG images?

I can sort of accept that a JPEG viewer might use graphics acceleration to speed up cosine transform decoding, but PNG has nothing like that. PNG is about as close to generic graphics as I can imagine. I can think of no reason why Windows would be unable to paint pixels inside a PNG preview panel, but is perfectly happy to paint pixels on the desktop say.

As far as I can see you haven't yet told us which preview feature you're referring to. Are you talking about the shell preview feature?
No, just viewing pictures by system's feature (Windows Picture Viewer).PNG is same as JPEG,and pictures opened by mspaint.exe works well also.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, I'm back to suggesting that you talk to Microsoft about the problem. Making sure your host OpenGL drivers are up to date wouldn't hurt either I guess.
York

Post by York »

mpack wrote:Well, I'm back to suggesting that you talk to Microsoft about the problem. Making sure your host OpenGL drivers are up to date wouldn't hurt either I guess.
Have you tried open a jpg in VBox ,can you success viewing the picture? I tried to restored the Win7's "d3d9.dll" ,and it works normally,of course, 3D is unused. Isn't it caused by "d3d9.dll" of VirtualBox.The 3D way of VirtualBox is replacing the Win7‘s "d3dx.dll" with the wine's "d3dx.dll". So i think it's useless talking to microsoft . :(
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I've never used 3D in Windows 7, so I can't say what happens myself when previewing. I'm doing a test install and will put 3D in it, and will let you know how previewing goes.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

York, I just tried it on my Windows 7 VM, with several JPEG and PNG files. No problem with 3D and Preview or Paint. Can you please upload the following?
  1. A zipped VBox.log, which was asked of you but you never produced.
  2. A JPEG that causes the crash.
Oh, and by the way, can you please post a list of the installed software on the VM?
  • Go to "Start", "Run...". Type "powershell".
  • Type the following (or better, copy-paste, all in one line):

Code: Select all

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table –AutoSize > C:\Users\Public\Installed.txt
  • Post the "C:\Users\Public\Installed.txt". Sorry I put it there, but I know for sure that this is one of the folders that you have read-write access.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I did just try it too - 4.2.16, though, haven't got 5 on my work PC. 3D full Guest Additions installed, not Basic 3D. Aero is working. I found that a png preinstalled with Windows 7 failed to preview with this error:

Code: Select all

Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer. Close some programs that you aren't using or free some hard disk space (if it's almost full), and try again.
4GB memory in the guest, freshly booted, 18.4GB free on disk, offending png is 29.3 kB.

Jpgs previewed fine, and a png saved from a jpg previewed fine. On one occasion an attempted preview of the offending png crashed the Oracle VM Manager for that guest.

I don't need 3D in a Windows 7 guest so I will leave troubleshooting to York, but there appears to be a glitch somewhere. Just some info, for what it's worth.