Installing Vista

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
donrbishop

Installing Vista

Post by donrbishop »

As a newbie to VirtualBox, I am having some difficulty in installing Vista into the Virtual Machine.

I have the User Manual, but it does not give me the instructions that I need to install Vista.

I have Vista Business on a DVD disk.

Does anyone know where I can find some step-by-step instructions?

Thanks,

DrB
Don R. Bishop
ashz

Post by ashz »

Can you be more specfic about which bit you are having trouble with?

The installation of OS'es is generic to all. There is no need to have anything "Vista Business" only.

Simple instructions.

Open VirtualBox, you will be greeted by the Main Page.

Click on New

Follow Instructions. (After selecting Vista from the drop down menu I suggest lots of clicking next, oh and a click on New when you get to the hard disk space bit) This will then take you back to the Main Page.

Look under the Details Tab on the Main Page and look for CD/DVD-ROM. Click on that. It will bring up another screen.

Check the "Mount CD/DVD Drive" box

Then either check the "Host CD/DVD Drive" or the ISO Image File. If it is an ISO then browse to said folder and click on it. Then click OK.

Now your back on the main page, your ready to install Vista Business.

Click on start. Install like you would on any "real" computer.

Laters
Ash

donrbishop

Installing Vista...

Post by donrbishop »

Thank you for your reply. I will try to install Vista following your suggestions.

DrB
Don R. Bishop
donrbishop

Another question from DrB ...

Post by donrbishop »

Ash: I followed your instructions. I have the VM up and running. It currently shows as powered off. What are the steps that I need to follow to get Vista installed from my DVD disk?

Does the VM needed to be started before I try to install?

Again, thanks for your help!

DrB

PS...I increased the Ram on this unit to 2 gigs. That is the max this MB would take.
Don R. Bishop
donrbishop

It is possible to see the VM disk in Windows Explorer?

Post by donrbishop »

When I set up the VM, I set the Virtual Disk to 50 GB. However, I cannot "see" that 50 gigs in Windows Explorer. When I try to install Vista, the installation program is only showing my entire "C" drive. I do NOT want to wipe out my Windows 2000 OS. I need to know that Visa is installing on the Virtual Disk and is NOT wiping out my Windows 2000 OS.

Is there any way that I can BE SURE that I do not wipe out my Win2k OS when Vista installs?

DrB
Don R. Bishop