How to get Windows ISO image

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Darth_Malloc

How to get Windows ISO image

Post by Darth_Malloc »

My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I am using VirtualBox on Linux Mint 17.1, trying to create a Windows guest, and I have found no helpful instructions on a safe and legal way to get a Windows ISO image. I have a Windows 7 machine that is in good working order. Is there anything I can do with that?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to get Windows ISO image

Post by mpack »

First, an ISO is a nice to have, but you can install directly from the CD/DVD if you prefer. The ISO experience is simply a more pleasant one - quieter, faster, and immune to sector errors, plus you'll keep them all in a host folder so you don't need to hunt for them for future reinstalls.

You obtain a Windows ISO by either downloading it from a Microsoft site (either from the shop, or one of their time limited IE test images), or image a CD/DVD that you already have a license for, using a tool such as ImgBurn.

Yes, you can image a working PC (Google for "P2V site:forums.virtualbox.org") but your Win7 license probably only allows one activation at a time. Activating the VM will invalidate the PC, if it has an internet connection.

If you have retired PCs that no longer need a license then it's quite possible you can re-use the disks that came with those PCs.

The cleanest way to get a license for your VMs is to buy one, perhaps second hand. Avoid "branded" OEM licenses such as for HP and Dell etc. These may be locked to the hardware they were originally bundled with. Also avoid unscrupulous eBay sellers with copied disks (you can't activate), and upgrade versions.
jsteiner
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by jsteiner »

Google or Bing if you prefer "windows iso image". Use the microsoft.com links. Microsoft provides all of their OS iso's online and free for download. These will be 180 day trials with three rearms. If you dig a little deeper you will find prebuilt .vhd's which VB will run. It's a great way to stand up and play with 2012r2 servers and 2016 tech previews. Of course at the end of your 180 days and rearm period you need to throw the vm away and start anew or buy the software.
Darth_Malloc

Post by Darth_Malloc »

Thank you both very much for your help. Just to be clear, are we talking about Windows 8.1 Enterprise which is available through the Technet Evaluation Centre?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is fine if all you want to do is evaluate Windows 10. It will expire after the 90 day trial period.
Bill