Guest OS Password Changed

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SickOfStuffNotWorking

Guest OS Password Changed

Post by SickOfStuffNotWorking »

VB has been nagging me to upgrade for months. I bit the bullet and did it. Now, my password to the Windows Server 2012 R2 doesn't work.
WHAT IS THIS? Am I wrapped around an axis hectically?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Guest OS Password Changed

Post by Perryg »

I doubt just upgrading VirtualBox is what the real issue is. VirtualBox does not control anything related to your guest/s password.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yup. IME this problem usually involves a change of keyboard layouts.
SickOfStuffNotWorking

That would make sense, if I were to have modified the keyboard settings. Which I did not.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

No, VirtualBox did not change the guest OS password. It does not even know what a guest OS password is, leave alone how to change one.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

SickOfStuffNotWorking wrote:That would make sense, if I were to have modified the keyboard settings. Which I did not.
Are you sure? You didn't for example move the VM to a new host?

Two options: either the VM never worked, or you changed something on the host. Takes yer pick.

The VirtualBox bug idea doesn't fly. VirtualBox provides a keyboard emulation - it doesn't give two hoots what the keystrokes are used for. Either you have a keyboard problem that affects everything, or you have some kind of guest OS specific problem.
SickOfStuffNotWorking

I needed to increase the size of the disk. Since it was not a dynamic disk I needed to clone it first then enlarge the disk on the clone. Both of those functions claim to have succeeded.
Then I unmounted the orig disk .vdi and mounted the new, cloned .vdi. That's when it all hit the fan.
The password did not work for the new .vdi. Unmounted the new vdi and mounted the old vdi. Password failed. Added both vdi's. Password failed.
Did not touch keyboard settings.
Did not move vm to a new host.
Did not change password.
Something got hosed.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Was the guest using an encrypted disk? Was the password in question used before Virtualbox boots the guest or was the password used inside the guest after the guest booted at the guest's ctrl-alt-del screen?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm seeing an lot of critical information that should have been given in the original post. This is not pleasing.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

As already stated VB does not know ANYTHING about the guest OS password. And there is more and more confusion about what TYPE of password you are talking about.

Did you password protect the VB Guest by using encryption from within the VB manager's settings for the VM?

Or did you use MS encryption to crypt the OSs drive via something like Bitlocker? This would prompt for a password when booting the OS and present itself as an OS password, not a VB one. VB knows nothing about this. It could be that you possible screwed it up by messing with the disk. I would advise ALWAYS making a backup copy first.

If it's neither of the above then on the long shot that somehow your keyboard is not passing the password off correctly then type the password into the USER line of the Windows logon dialog, this will show if somehow the text is being screwed up. If it shows the password as typed then you have an issue with the OS itself and this has nothing to do with VB. Get a password breaker. Something like Kon Boot.