internet access fails

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
schleprock

internet access fails

Post by schleprock »

My main box runs Windows 10, my VB runs Windows 7. I am using Version 5.0.16 r105871
System Specifications at end of post, if needed:

I am running a few tools in my VB. They need to access the internet to function. With 2 open apps it seem to go OK, sometimes you can even have 3 programs accessing the internet, but if I open a 4th program that accesses the web it all shuts down. Once in a while I can close Firefox and that will enable the other programs to begin working again. Sometimes not. Anyway, 4 programs seems to be fatal to the internet connection.

Is there a limit to outgoing connections a VB guest can make. Like a thread count or something. If there is, can I increase it?

Sorry about the weird description. I don't know what I am talking about so I have to describe it and hope it makes sense.

My Network setting says it uses and Intel PRO 1000/MT Desktop (NAT) . Could that have a limiting effect.
I also run my VB using 6GB of RAM and 2 AMD 6100 CPUs. It also only gives my video 128 mb, so I can sometimes see numerous windows open if I move a window (like a deck of cards). Maybe I am just under powered.

Anyway, it is the internet connection that is the problem.
I can also move some programs to my main machine if there is no way around the internet bottleneck.

Thank you for considering my question
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 6
RAM: 16330 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 487933 MB, Free - 347748 MB; D: Total - 599895 MB, Free - 506518 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 666138 MB; G: Total - 830893 MB, Free - 223904 MB; K: Total - 3815413 MB, Free - 1447283 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
Antivirus: Panda Free Antivirus, Updated and Enabled
raynebc

Re: internet access fails

Post by raynebc »

How many socket connections/attempts are open when you see that problem (ie. go to a command line and use "netstat /n /o")?
schleprock

Post by schleprock »

2.PNG
2.PNG (86.4 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
I attached a snippet of my VB. This is from when it was working
raynebc

Post by raynebc »

That output would be more revealing when it was not working. One of the applications you are using could be overwhelming the protocol stack with hundreds of connections or something.
schleprock

Post by schleprock »

I didn't take a picture but I typed in your command and it returned probably 60-80 open-wating, connections.

How many open connections can a guest handle?
raynebc

Post by raynebc »

Windows itself supposedly doesn't have a connection limit anymore, but I don't know if that's the case with Virtualbox. The PID column of the netstat output will tell you which program has the connection (cross reference with the processes tab in task manager, add the PID column if you haven't already), so you can see if one of those programs in particular is the one opening most of the connections and determine whether that's appropriate behavior for the program.