Windows 10 Guest can't find Ethernet driver

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
aaronfranke

Windows 10 Guest can't find Ethernet driver

Post by aaronfranke »

Xubuntu 15.10 64-bit Host OS, VirtualBox 5.0.14 from repositories, 5.0.14 extension pack installed, 5.0.14 guest additions installed in the Windows 10 Pro VM.

When I go into Device Manager and try to update my Ethernet drivers, I get this message:

"Windows was unable to install your Ethernet Controller

Windows could not find driver software for your device.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

I don't know where to download the drivers for VirtualBox's network adapter. Changing it from NAT to Bridged makes no difference.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 Guest can't find Ethernet driver

Post by BillG »

Why would you want to do that? The emulated NICs used by VirtualBox are chosen because the drivers are available in the guest OS "out of the box". They should automatically install.

In any case, if your NIC was not working, how would you update its driver (since without a working NIC you cannot access any other machine or the Internet)?

What driver is currently installed? What problem are you having with the NIC?
Bill
aaronfranke

Post by aaronfranke »

That's the thing, the guest OS can't figure out what driver to use. They're not automatically installed. There is no driver currently installed, I can choose from a very long list of drivers in Device Manager but I don't know which one is the correct one. I'd assume I'd have to put the driver on an ISO and mount it to the VM if it's not anywhere in the list of drivers that the guest OS has.
win10 guest ethernet not working
win10 guest ethernet not working
10.jpg (121.74 KiB) Viewed 11501 times
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

Instead of looking at device manager in the guest OS, have a look at the settings of the vm and see what NIC is being emulated. If you used the Windows 10 template it should be an Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop, and Windows 10 certainly has driver for that. If it is set to something else, select the Intel instead from the dropdown list.
Bill
aaronfranke

Post by aaronfranke »

That worked! Thanks, Bill! It was set to PCnet-PCI II for some reason.
chartojo

Post by chartojo »

BillG wrote:Instead of looking at device manager in the guest OS, have a look at the settings of the vm and see what NIC is being emulated. If you used the Windows 10 template it should be an Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop, and Windows 10 certainly has driver for that. If it is set to something else, select the Intel instead from the dropdown list.
Still a valid solution!
Thanks again Bill.

char
qasimalishah

Post by qasimalishah »

You can use Driver updater to download, install and automatically update Ethernet driver.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

Much simpler to do it properly. Give the vm an adapter which your OS has a built-in driver for.
Bill