Windows XP Audio Mute does not work (version 5.0.16)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DWF

Windows XP Audio Mute does not work (version 5.0.16)

Post by DWF »

I had noticed this ever since upgrading to 5.0.14 and problem still exists in the current 5.0.16.

I run my Windows XP VM on a Windows 10 host. The client VM always has the corresponding Client Addition installed. When I mute the audio in my XP, the sound is still coming through my host speakers. It used to work on VB 5.0.10 (but at that time, the host was Windows 7.)

I also have a Windows 7 VM on the same Windows 10 host, and the mute works correctly on that VM.

Anyone came across the same issue?
Last edited by DWF on 26. Jan 2017, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.
EmptyK

Re: Windows XP Audio Mute does not work (version 5.0.16)

Post by EmptyK »

I have the same issue.
Have tried the Intel HD driver emulated HW, which acted different - not sure better
DWF

Post by DWF »

I moved the same VM to a Mac, and the same issue still exists. Any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I wasn't able to duplicate the issue on my Mac 10.9.5, VBox 5.0.20. WinXP SP3, plain vanilla installation, sample music (Beethoven' 9th) with standard Media Player. As soon as I checked the Mute box in the Sound applet on the Taskbar, the audio was muted. Unchecked, I hear the audio. Checked, I don't. Just an (anti)confirmation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DWF

Post by DWF »

I have now upgraded VBox to the latest and greatest (i.e. 5.1.14), and I can report that muting the audio inside XP seems to work as before now.

Thanks,
David
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Thank you for reporting back.
I hope you don't mind if I change the title to "[Solved] Windows XP..." for future searchers.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DWF

Post by DWF »

I may have spoken too soon. The Audio mute on XP works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't work. At times, even with the Audio muted in my XP, I can still hear audio sound from it. Before it was consistently not working. Now it's intermittently working. Can't seem to find a consistent pattern. I had even tried rebooting the XP VM, but still inconsistently working.

David
Tak

Post by Tak »

same problem with Vbox 5.1.26
xp sp3 vm on windows 10 enterprise x64 10240 host
vm audio device is AC'97
it does work if i check the mute box when the music is playing, but dose not if i check the mute box first and start a player(e.g. wmplayer) to play music later
Last edited by Tak on 30. Aug 2017, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Tak

Post by Tak »

socratis wrote:Thank you for reporting back.
I hope you don't mind if I change the title to "[Solved] Windows XP..." for future searchers.
it seems not solved
&i noticed that
it does work if i check the mute box when the music is playing, but dose not if i check the mute box first and start a player(e.g. wmplayer) to play music later :D