VirtualBox and Secure Pulse

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BartAtRanch

VirtualBox and Secure Pulse

Post by BartAtRanch »

I have a new client that is uses the Secure Pulse VPN software to access their servers. I am trying to use this on a Windows 7 and Windows 10 guest VM. Secure Pulse disconnects my network connection on the VMs. I have tried both NAT and Bridged network connections.

Has anyone used Secure Pulse?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox and Secure Pulse

Post by scottgus1 »

Are you using the VPN software inside the guest? or is it running on the host OS?
BartAtRanch

Post by BartAtRanch »

I am running Secure Pulse within the VM.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is pretty much standard practice for a VM. By default they direct all traffic through the tunnel. It is usually possible to modify this so that the client still has direct network access (this is called split tunnelling). You should be able to see examples on the Pulse Secure (formerly Juniper) forum.
Bill
nullsteph

Post by nullsteph »

Is it standard to prevent guest OSes from making their own VPN connections? I'd like to know more about that.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That depends on how you go about it. If the host has two NICs and the host and guest have separate connections to the Internet, then no. Once you start sharing Internet connections between host and guest things can get complicated. A VPN connection from a guest on a bridged connection should be OK (but is not always successful. It sometimes blocks the host access to the Internet)). . Each supplier's VPN works slightly differently and can behave differently in a vm depending on the NIC card in the host (and its driver). VPN (point-to-point) connections are quite different from normal routed connections.

The only way to know for sure is to give it a try.
Bill