Having networking issues with VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Woad2112

Having networking issues with VM

Post by Woad2112 »

My computer is running Windows 10 Pro. I am running the current version of Virtual Box. The OS in my VM is Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I am setting this up as a dev box. I am a ColdFusion Developer and Adobe, in their infinite Wisdom, still hasn't updated their web server connector to work with Windows 10 (I do wonder how they are still in business) so I have created a virtual box to run as a dev box for my clients. I have installed Windows on the VM just fine. Under networking, I have set up 2 network adapters...a NAT and a Host only adapter. The network icon in the windows tray is yellow, indicating no internet access. The computer running the VM has internet access. Both of the adapters are set to dynamically get the IP address and I have set my router to assign static local ip's based on the mac address' of the adapters. If I run "ipconfig /all" on the vm, neither adapter has the expected IP address. I have even tried to statically assign each adapter an IP address...still no connectivity. This shouldn't be this difficult... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get this up and running so I can get some work done...my client is really breathing down my neck on this. So HELP!!!! :!:
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Having networking issues with VM

Post by Perryg »

You should leave the guest set to use DHCP. Both VBox NAT and Host-only have a pre-set scheme and if you try to go around it without knowing how you will have issues.
Woad2112

Post by Woad2112 »

I returned it back to that and they still are not pickling up the IP set in the router. THe Host only adapter is getting the right IP address range for the local IP (192.168.11.xxx) but not the assigned one., The NAT connector is getting an IP from my provider (Comcast...10.0.2.15. it shows the Comcast domain...hsd1-il-comcast-net... in the connection specific DNS suffix param). I don't know where or why it would get that number. Everything I have is set to my router being the gateway and DNS server (192.168.11.1). Let me know what else I can provide...this has me stumped.
Woad2112

Post by Woad2112 »

ALSo...I want both the NAT and host only adapter to have an IP in the 192.168.11.xxx range and have it assigned by my router. That is the only way I can access the VM as a web server and use it as a dev box...so that is my goal, besides connectivity ;-) Thanks in advance.

Eric
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Ah you want your cake and eat it too. But that will not happen the way you are going about it.

NAT is a virtual connection that uses the host interface as the actual connection point. Host-only does just as the name specifies. It sets up a connection channel between the host and the guest *only.

If you are using a router and want all of these machines ( virtual or on metal ) to be in the same scheme you would need to use bridged.
Woad2112

Post by Woad2112 »

So which am I getting rid of? NAT or Host only and replacing it with a bridged adapter? or m I getting rid of both and just having a Bridged adapter? Why is this so difficult LOL?
Woad2112

Post by Woad2112 »

I dumped the host only and nat and set up bridged and it looks like it might just be working!!! Thanks for your help!!

Eric
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You answered you post before I could tell you but you got it right so there you go!!