Bluetooth disconnect when starting W10 64bit on OS X host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
GBro
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Insiders Preview 15063 (fails startup in full screen)

Bluetooth disconnect when starting W10 64bit on OS X host

Post by GBro »

I'm running Windows 10 64bit using VirtualBox 5.0.14. It's on an iMac host running OS X 10.11.3.

Today, when I started Windows from VBox, the screen went black as usual and shortly after my iMac lost connections to my bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Windows 10 started but the startup process slowed to a dead slow. It was taking so long, I decided to do a cold shut down and boot of the Mac. As I'd lost the keyboard and mouse, I had to use the power button.

Does anyone know what's happening ?

Thanks.

Garry

UPDATE: Solved the issue by downgrading VBox to v5.0.12. What was in 5.0.14 which broke Bluetooth on my iMac ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bluetooth disconnect when starting W10 64bit on OS X hos

Post by socratis »

OK, first of all, Bluetooth devices are not seen by VirtualBox, as it does not emulate Bluetooth. Bluetooth devices are connected through a USB bus in any event and this is what is being presented to a VM. BUT... you're the second person to mention that downgrading from 5.0.14 to 5.0.12 fixes their issue, the first one being "itisspeedy" in this post (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75844&start=15#p353708).

Now, as luck would have it, I have an OSX 10.6.8 VM which I keep in order to use iSync and synchronize my computer's contacts and calendars to my phone. I tried it with 5.0.14 and it failed to connect. Downgraded to 5.0.10 (the last known sync took place on 3/Dec/2015, 5.0.10 was available at the time) and it worked flawlessly. I will try to investigate some more (including logs and error messages, if any) and I will update the thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, running OSX 10.11.3 and VB 5.0.15r105205 I have no loss of Bluetooth devices running a Windows 10 (build 14251) guest.

FWIW II, running OSX 10.11.4b2 and VB 5.0.14r105127 I have no loss of Bluetooth devices running a Windows 10 (build 10240) guest.

Booting from scratch.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Mbrugo

Post by Mbrugo »

HI to all, mac os x El capitan (mac book pro), VBOX 5.0.14, windows 10 as guest.

First time i'm booting windows bluetooth disconnect mouse. Next i close windows, then restarting it no problem on bluetooh.

Mike
AdrianL
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: Bluetooth disconnect when starting W10 64bit on OS X host

Post by AdrianL »

I have the same problem. I was running VB 5.0.10 on an iMac with OS X 10.11.4 - all OK. Upgraded to 5.0.20 and got the problem with Bluetooth being turned off when starting Windows 10 guest. Couldn't use keyboard nor mouse. Reverted to 5.0.12 and all OK again. Is there a way of reporting this problem to Oracle?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Is there a way of reporting this problem to Oracle?
Post it on the Bugtracker (being sure first that someone else hasn't already posted it.
Be sure to provide logs of working & non-working guest runs, from cold boot to problem existing or not existing to complete shutdown.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Me again. Running OSX 10.11.4, VB 5.0.20. No problems with Bluetooth for moi.
rcatyvr

Post by rcatyvr »

Problem hunted down and solved for now:

Latest VirtualBox on El Capitan Mac, latest Window 10 from upgrade on 64 bit VM. Starting the VM caused my host Mac's Bluetooth services to stop and refuse to connect to my keyboard and trackpad and from operating inside/outside of, or after closing the VBox application. Fortunately, I had a wireless Logitech keyboard & mouse and I plugged the dongle into my USB hub and was able to continue to troubleshoot. It is a big problem as the only way to restart my host's Bluetooth was to reboot the computer which is an annoying waste of time.

Solution/Work around:

You will need to have at least a wireless or hard wired USB mouse plugged in. Especially as you are using a Mac, be sure that before the Windows VM actually starts to boot that you prevent it from going full screen and you lose the ability to click on the Apple control icon at the top left of the host's screen. If you don't you will probably have to power the unit off the hard way. Note: a similar keyboard setup would help, but is not essential.

1. Confirmed that I had problem. If you are reading this you already know you have it.
2. Used an archived Win 10 VDI dated September 22, 2016 to confirm the problem originates in fact in Windows, not VBox--no problems seen
3. Went back to the most up-to-date Windows 10 VDI: Services control, I stopped & disabled: a) Bluetooth Handsfree Service, b) Bluetooth Support Service.
4. REBOOTed the Windows VM
5. Tested and had no further interference with the host's Bluetooth hardware.

Problem solved. I would call this a solution, though it is technically a work around, because disabling Windows' bluetooth should be moot as the VM shouldn't be able to pass those services to the VM and therefore there is no need for them to even be there/on. However, that as by default they try to start up (and revert to a manual-start service) at boot time, and as it seems that just querying for the hardware is enough to crash the host's own hardware, those services should be disabled.

I don't know how it does it, but have I found out experimentally that in a VBox VM, Windows 10's bluetooth services/hardware layer have been recently changed and are now somehow attempting to control/attach to the host's Bluetooth stack during the client's boot up--causing them to crash and the host loose its hardware bluetooth service. Not supposed to happen, but it does.

A long term solution would be for Oracle to figure how the VM is accessing the hosts' hardware and crashing it
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't know why this thread is in "Windows Guests", moving it to "OSX Hosts".

Apple does not pass Bluetooth because VirtualBox does not support Bluetooth. Most Bluetooth devices are connected via the USB bus in any event.

In the referenced thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75844&start=15#p353708) the solution was shown several times to be wrong USB filters. So, with that in mind, open up a Terminal and post the output of the command:
  • VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_VM_Name_here"
rcatyvr wrote:I don't know how it does it, but have I found out experimentally that in a VBox VM, Windows 10's bluetooth services/hardware layer have been recently changed and are now somehow attempting to control/attach to the host's Bluetooth stack during the client's boot up--causing them to crash and the host loose its hardware bluetooth service. Not supposed to happen, but it does.
I'm sorry, but this does not compute, in several fronts. No matter what changes Win10 (or anyone else) has had, they cannot access the hardware directly, unless you tell it to. If your Bluetooth crashes on OSX (any evidence that it does?) that might be a different problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Just to add, I've had a Windows 10 guest running on a OSX host since the first Insider preview and it's never had any affect on my Bluetooth devices, nor could it as far as I know.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yep, same here. Thanks Lou.

rcatyvr also opened a ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16303
I asked if we could continue this discussion here, so as to not flood the bugtracker with the discussion, diagnostics, etc.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

You're welcome. I don't really want to discuss anything until the audio situation is fixed. :lol:
rcatyvr

Post by rcatyvr »

socratis wrote:I don't know why this thread is in "Windows Guests", moving it to "OSX Hosts".

Apple does not pass Bluetooth because VirtualBox does not support Bluetooth. Most Bluetooth devices are connected via the USB bus in any event.

In the referenced thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75844&start=15#p353708) the solution was shown several times to be wrong USB filters. So, with that in mind, open up a Terminal and post the output of the command:
  • VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_VM_Name_here"
rcatyvr wrote:I don't know how it does it, but have I found out experimentally that in a VBox VM, Windows 10's bluetooth services/hardware layer have been recently changed and are now somehow attempting to control/attach to the host's Bluetooth stack during the client's boot up--causing them to crash and the host loose its hardware bluetooth service. Not supposed to happen, but it does.
I'm sorry, but this does not compute, in several fronts. No matter what changes Win10 (or anyone else) has had, they cannot access the hardware directly, unless you tell it to. If your Bluetooth crashes on OSX (any evidence that it does?) that might be a different problem.

I know it doesn't compute, that's why I bothered to post it and open a trouble ticket.

What evidence that the bluetooth is crashed? Well, all the bluetooth devices disappear and stop working. Opening the bluetooth controller says service is disabled and trying to reconnect from either the remote device or from with in the connection dialog does not work, and the controller tells you so if you try to seek/add a device. The little bluetooth active icon on the top bar also shows that the service is disabled. To put is simply, a well working installation of Windows 10 on a Mac host one day started to turn off bluetooth services on the host when no other virtual machine of any flavour was doing so. There were no changes to any of the settings in the .vbox file, ports or whatsoever over the last 2-3 weeks preceding the onset of the problem.

Either downgrading the Windows host or disabling the newest Window's bluetooth functions both restored the good working relationship between the host and guest. Conversely as I also tried, down grading the VBox also solved the problem without disabling the latest guest's bluetooth functions.

Given the results from testing the four pertinent configurations (two older setups matrixes against two up to date setups), the reasonable conclusion is that recent changes to both Windows 10 and VBox have left the Host/Guest relationship vulnerable and some form of leakage takes place with unforeseen effect on the host.

This is born out by the experience of some, though not all, of the posters above.

Addendum: I have for the time gone back with an older VBox from the archives because in a test of the solution I mentioned above, while the Windows (with disabled bluetooth) continued to work, when I loaded immediately after ending that session a Xubuntu session, not only did the bluetooth crash, but I lost all all my USB devices (both those directly plugged in and those on a USB port extender) including my old wired mouse. I will be exploring combinations of various older VBox versions and bringing them forward incrementally and with/without EFI/ICH9/disabling USB ports, drive controllers and other similar combination matrixes.

If any wish to follow my adventures, I will be switching over to the trouble ticket
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You forgot to post the information that I asked you to. With the USB device(s) plugged in and the VM not running, post the output of the following commands:
  • 
    VBoxManage list usbhost
    VBoxManage list usbfilters
    VBoxManage list extpacks
    VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_Virtual_Machine_Name"
Jonathan Adams

Post by Jonathan Adams »

Work around

Just experienced the same problem after upgrading to High Sierra (10.13.2) on Mac Book Pro and Virtual Box to 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.3)
After booting VM, bluetooth was disabled (My external Magic Mouse stopped working. Internal Track Pad still worked.). When shutting down VM, bluetooth was enabled again and working as expected

Tried the workaround earlier in the board, disabling the "Bluetooth Handsfree Service" and "Bluetooth Support Service" in the Windows VM, but still same problem.

Client Details:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

In Virtual box settings for the VM under "Ports" / "USB", disabled and removed the "Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller, and restarted VM. All working as expected.
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 10.45.06.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 10.45.06.png (83.47 KiB) Viewed 10852 times