Windows 10 Guest Additions installation error 0xE0000301

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Oleksandr

Windows 10 Guest Additions installation error 0xE0000301

Post by Oleksandr »

Host: MAC OS X 10.11.2
Guest: Windows 10
Trying to install VirtualBox Guest Additions using "Insert Guest Additions Setup Image ..."
Got error:
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxVideoW8.inf' (Plug and Play).
(2) 0 - No device Ids found in INF 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxvideow8.inf_amd64_dfae391ff47ca246\vboxvideow8.inf' for current platform.
(1) 0 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE0000301)

Log file attached.

Please, help !
Thank you
Attachments
install_drivers.log
(7.46 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Guest Additions installation error 0xE0000301

Post by socratis »

This seems to be a Windows installer issue. As such, I would expect to have better luck if I was searching in a Windows forum. Just search for "No device Ids found in INF".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Alexander.Iskhakov

Post by Alexander.Iskhakov »

socratis wrote:This seems to be a Windows installer issue. As such, I would expect to have better luck if I was searching in a Windows forum. Just search for "No device Ids found in INF".
Everything was fine with VirtualBox 5.0.12. The error's appeared after I updated VB to 5.0.14 and started trying to update guest additions. So I do not think it is windows installation problem. In addition as it seen in log INF file is looking in VB's folder

P.S. Sorry for different nick, but this forum asks me to change nick each time I login :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You aren't trying to install Guest Additions on the host are you? IME that is usually what "No device Ids found in INF" means: it's trying to install drivers for (virtual) hardware that doesn't exist. Some people just can't get their head around the idea that Guest Drivers go in the guest, extension pack goes on the host...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:You aren't trying to install Guest Additions on the host are you?
Oleksandr wrote:Host: MAC OS X 10.11.2
Kind of difficult to install the Windows GAs on an OSX host ;)
Alexander.Iskhakov wrote:In addition as it seen in log INF file is looking in VB's folder
Yes, you are trying after all to install a program from that folder, aren't you? But the fact remains that if you search for what I've told you, you'll soon realize that it is a Windows installer problem. The fact that it was working tells me nothing. Things work until at some point they break. Be it user intervention or OS updates, someone is responsible. And it's not VirtualBox, otherwise everyone and my mother would see the problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
foggles

Post by foggles »

I had the same issue and got around it by uninstalling 5.0.12 guest additions, rebooting, and then doing the installation of 5.0.14 guest additions.
Alexander.Iskhakov

Post by Alexander.Iskhakov »

After lots of experimentations, I end up with clean install Windows 10 on new VirtualBox VM.
Everything works fine.
fnu

Post by fnu »

Hi,

I face the same error today while installing guest additions using VirtualBox 5.0.20 on a clean newly installed Windows 10 Enterprise (1511).

I already switched off 2D & 3D support nothing did help. Any advice?

Regards
fnu
Attachments
install_drivers.log
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
fnu

Post by fnu »

Ok, invested some time into the issue ...

That error occur obviously if there was a failed installation of vbox additions before. I had them, because the super duper Intel Grafix of my host (P4600) does neither work with 3D or 2D support ...

So, creating a brandnew machine w/o 3D & 2D and a freshly installed W10 let me install the additions ...

Regards
fnu
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

I ran into this problem today when I installed Guest Additions on Win10.

First time, I ran it install program, Win10 exited without any prompt.
Next time, I rebooted Win10 and ran it again, the error 0xE0000301 appeared.

I noticed "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_7d6b0354e22c6675\vboxguest.inf" had problem and opened it with a binary editor, it's completely filled with 0x00 at all. This is the problem.

I deleted the folder and opened the folder "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions", then
used right-click "vboxguest.inf" to run the install from the pop-menu. it installed ok. and reinstall the Guest Additions, everything is normal. PERFECT!!!

I hope this journey can help someone. :D
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Thanks for posting.

Please clarify: which version of the VirtualBox GAs are you saying is affected by this?, and which variant? E.g. are you talking about Win10-64bit or Win10-32bit?

I just looked at the file "...\VirtualBox Guest Additions\amd64\VBoxGuest\VBoxGuest.inf" for the VirtualBox 5.0.20 GAs and find a normal (text) inf file, not NULs.