Remote Desktop from Win10 to Server 2012R2 doensn't work

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ronnys
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: WinXP

Remote Desktop from Win10 to Server 2012R2 doensn't work

Post by ronnys »

Hi!
My guest-VM is Windows 10 64bits.
Host is OpenSUSE 13.2 64bits KDE
VirtBox=5.0.10

I can connect to Windows Server 2008 R2 with Remote Desktop with no problem, but not to Windows 2012 R2. It looks like video is out of sync and graphics is messed up.

I don't know if this is some Win10-problem or Virtualbox on Linux-problem.
jdholman

Re: Remote Desktop from Win10 to Server 2012R2 doensn't work

Post by jdholman »

I've experienced the exact same issue over the past 2 weeks. Never happened before that. I can connect to Windows Server 2003 as well, but not the newer W2K12R2. A major problem for me as I do all of my RDP connecting from a VB Windows 10 guest.

I'm desperate for a solution.
ronnys
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by ronnys »

Anyone that have Windows running as guest on Linux-host that can test RDP to Win2012R2-server?
We need to get this confirmed and report it as bug.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I can't really see what difference the host OS could make. It works fine from Windows 10 to server 2012R2 running on a Windows 10 host.

Can you see the server from the Win 10 machine? What error do you get when you try to connect by RDP?
Bill
rtkirton

Post by rtkirton »

I'm experiencing the same issue. When using Windows 10 VM and I attempt to connect to a Windows 2012R2 server using RDP, I get the following:

- In RDP full screen mode, I get a black screen and nothing else.
- In RDP windowed mode, I either get a black screen or a garbled screen.

My Windows 7 VM does not experience any of these issues.

I am running VirtualBox 5.0.14 r105127 on Ubuntu 15.10.

Both VMs are set up identically:
Memory: 4096MB
Display Memory: 256MB
3d Acceleration: On
2d Acceleration: On
Acceleration: VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, Hyper-V, Paravirtualizaton

The only difference that I can see is during the installation of the Guest Additions:

- In Windows 7, I am able to select if I want to run DirectX 3D. If I select that box, it warns me about an Aero incompatibility and asks me if I want to install basic 3D instead. If I press Yes, it will then tell me it cannot install basic 3D as I'm not in Safe Mode.

- In Windows 10, the DirectX 3D is already checked and grayed out, which prevents me from deselecting it.

Any help in this issue would be greatly appreciated.
jww-me03

Post by jww-me03 »

We have been running Server 2012R2 guest on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS host for just over two years. There have been Win7 and Win10 computers remote into it with no issues until we upgraded to Virtualbox 5.2.4 from 5.1.28. I've tried disabling and enabling the service with no luck. Other services like file sharing, DNS, DHCP, etc are working fine, so I don't think it is a network.

Does anyone know has this been submitted as a bug?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Even with that description, a ticket (bug report) won't get you far. You need logs, evidence, things of that nature. For example if you downgrade to 5.1.28 (or 5.1.30), does it make it work again?

We will need complete-run (startup/observe problem/full shutdown) of the the VM in question, preferably from both 5.1.28 and 5.2.4 as a start, at a minimum.

Then, there's firewalls, antivirus, forwarding, other information that might be useful. A "it stopped working" on itself isn't that useful I'm afraid to start troubleshooting anything...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.