Virtual Box Suddenly Strat Crashing.. :(

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
zakir_szh

Virtual Box Suddenly Strat Crashing.. :(

Post by zakir_szh »

Greetings.. hope all active members of this community/forum is fine..
i was using vm for months till last day. But all at a sudden it's not working today. Every time i restart/turn on after few minutes it chars/hung up.
When i open task manager it shows blank space on CPU usage..

It's happening on my guest os.(Windows XP)

all the changes have been made today is. i just change my isp. Got a new dedicated broadband connection. Nothing else have been done today :(

now i am so confused what is going wrong with this :(

i am dead stuck as i work mainly on my vm :(

so, any help would be highly appreciated :)

Note i have attached 3 files...
1. Guest VM Log
2. Guest VM Cpu usage when crash
3. Host VM Cpu usage when guest crash

thanks in advance

best regards
Attachments
Host VM Cpu usage when guest crash
Host VM Cpu usage when guest crash
Host Cpu.png (33.36 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Guest VM Cpu usage when crash
Guest VM Cpu usage when crash
Guest CPU.png (115.89 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
VBox.log
Guest VM Log
(111.16 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Box Suddenly Strat Crashing.. :(

Post by mpack »

The log doesn't show a VirtualBox crash, it shows a VM running normally for 20 minutes, then a couple of suspends/resumes, and finally a normal shutdown and termination. No truncated log like you might expect with a VM crash. No guru meditation message.

What are the symptoms of this "crash"?

And please be clear: you do really mean that the VM process crashed (which is what the topic title seems to say), or was it just a guest application which crashed? If the latter, what was the process, do you have a screenshot of the error message?
zakir_szh

Post by zakir_szh »

mpack wrote:The log doesn't show a VirtualBox crash, it shows a VM running normally for 20 minutes, then a couple of suspends/resumes, and finally a normal shutdown and termination. No truncated log like you might expect with a VM crash. No guru meditation message.

What are the symptoms of this "crash"?

And please be clear: you do really mean that the VM process crashed (which is what the topic title seems to say), or was it just a guest application which crashed? If the latter, what was the process, do you have a screenshot of the error message?
1. omg! really no crash report on log?
please sir, check the image (Guest os cpu usage)
2. no, it's not related to any specific application/process... it happens with different software each time..
3. no.. it's not show any error message, so i can't so you any.. it just suddenly stop working.. then i check the task manager and notice cpu usage is blank/black

thanks again for your kind and fast reply

take care
may Allah bless you
have a nice day
bye bye
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

(1) I guess you mean a hang rather than a crash. "Crash" means that the program shuts down suddenly (in an unintended way), usually accompanied by an error message. With a hang the program keeps running, and running, and running... forever (or anyway longer than you are prepared to wait).

(2) To my eyes it looks like it's a guest process which has hung, since you seem to be showing me guest (XP) windows.

Incidentally, very low CPU usage is perfectly normal if the application which appears to have hung is actually waiting on input. What might have been more interesting is if you showed the guest task list (processes list). It might give us a better idea which application or service is going wrong.

Have you any idea what might have changed between the guest working and then not working? Unfortunately the change need not be confined to your PC. This could be a network problem. You would need a second PC to verify that. If you know of any change then now would be the time to mention it.
zakir_szh

Post by zakir_szh »

mpack wrote:(1) I guess you mean a hang rather than a crash. "Crash" means that the program shuts down suddenly (in an unintended way), usually accompanied by an error message. With a hang the program keeps running, and running, and running... forever (or anyway longer than you are prepared to wait).

(2) To my eyes it looks like it's a guest process which has hung, since you seem to be showing me guest (XP) windows.

Incidentally, very low CPU usage is perfectly normal if the application which appears to have hung is actually waiting on input. What might have been more interesting is if you showed the guest task list (processes list). It might give us a better idea which application or service is going wrong.

Have you any idea what might have changed between the guest working and then not working? Unfortunately the change need not be confined to your PC. This could be a network problem. You would need a second PC to verify that. If you know of any change then now would be the time to mention it.
thanks a lot for your kind co-operation sir..
i found and fixed (passed away) the issue..
you may also get shock when i tell you the cause....

recently our government close/block all connection attempt to all social network like Facebook like site, messenger and more.. and Skype is in that list..
so, after few minutes of trying Skype to connect to it server (after sign in) it make the crash or hung up (in your word)

so, when i quit the Skype as soon as it start, everything works as it should

so, i think this nothing to do with virtual box right?

but i have question though as i have to run Skype. so, is there any way to know before running Skype that whether all port that Skype may use is ok or not (blocked)

thanks in advance

take care
may Allah bless you
have a nice day
bye bye
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Here is an article explaining how to get around using Skype in a country that blocks it by using a VPN service.
http://almostfearless.com/what-to-do-if ... ould-care/
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

So I guess it was waiting on input after all, probably trying to connect to some server, or trying many. If Skype has been blocked at the Internet Provider end then no, this is not something VirtualBox can fix (a virtual PC is no different from any other PC when it comes to connecting to external networks).