Trying to configure DNS Server in my virtua. Windows 2012

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
enricviv
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2012, 2008 R2

Trying to configure DNS Server in my virtua. Windows 2012

Post by enricviv »

Hi all of you,
My goal is simple: connect a couple of machines at home: one x86 and one Macx. Issues come when my x86 laptop does not recognize my domain. I will try to explain everything and be clear on everything.

Primary platform/host: Windows 7 Ultimate Pro OS x64
Environment: home
Virtualization Platform: Oracle VirtualBox 5.0
Guest: Windows Server 2012 DataCenter Evaluation 180 days trial
I've successfully (or hope so) installed Active Directory Services, domain controller, DHCP and so on as well in my virtualized Sql12k.
All machines use the router (192.168.0.1) as their default gateway
Router
Got a router with the following range:
Obviously router's IP is 192.168.0.1
DCHP range in my router is:
192.168.0.154 to 192.168.0.192
Host
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.160(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.160
Ipv4… 192.168.0.164
Subnet Mask ….. 255.255.255.0
Default gateway… 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.1
Alternate DNS server: 192.168.0.2

Laptop network:

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "servidorenric.es":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.servidorenric.es

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

servidorenric.es
es
. (the root zone)

DNS Server in Windows Server 2012 log:

The DNS server could not open socket for address 192.168.0.164.

Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. Then stop and restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error. In that case remove the DNS\Parameters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry and restart.)

If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other application (e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Trying to configure DNS Server in my virtua. Windows 201

Post by BillG »

This is still the same problem as your previous post (and it still has nothing to do with VirtualBox). You cannot combine a domain environment with DHCP from a router, unless you can modify the DHCP on the router to do what a domain needs ie use the DC for DNS but the router as default gateway. The only other alternative is to turn off DHCP on the router and run DHCP on the DC, or use all static addresses.

Do a Google search or have a look at the Windows forums. All domain clients must use the local DNS.
Bill