Not able to start Windows 10 / 8.1 VM's

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
JPFHO

Not able to start Windows 10 / 8.1 VM's

Post by JPFHO »

I have a Samsung R530 laptop with dual pentium processors (T4400) running an Ubuntu 14.04 host system. I am using Virtual Box 5.0.6, installed yesterday. My two Windows 7 VM's are running OK, but the Windows 10 and 8.1 ISO's (32 bits) I have downloaded from DreamSpark do not install. They both complain about missing VT-x and AMD-V. Which is true, because those processors can't support such technologies. Although I thought I could run a 64 bit host and install the 32 bit versions of Windows 10 and 8.1.

Is this so; they can not simply be installed, not even the 32 bit versions? In such a case I must use (still another) Windows 7 32bit guest, in order to test Office 365 from my campus license.
And eventually, start looking for a replacement for my laptop, which nevertheless is a great machine!

I will upload the required log files (text and image). I had to make a zip to be within the upload limits.
Attachments
Logs.zip
Contains the VBox log and the png picture.
(64.19 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Not able to start Windows 10 / 8.1 VM's

Post by loukingjr »

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 require VT-x/AMD-V. Even the 32bit versions.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
PCosta
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7

Post by PCosta »

Hello Guys! :) I have a Dell Inspiron 14 Serie 3000 I14-3442-B10 laptop, with Intel Core i3-4005U 1.70GHz, memory (RAM) 4GB, running a Windows 8.1 Single Language like host system. I'm using Virtual Box 5.0.8 r103449, installed a few days ago.
So, I can use this VM running a Windows 7 Professional x64, no problems!
But in another machine... the things are totally different... an ASUS S46C laptop, with Intel Core i5-3317U 1.70GHz, memory (RAM) 8GB, running a Windows 10 Home Single Language like host system. I'm using the same version of Virtual Box 5.0.8 r103449.
First, a had a little problem with the VT-x at setup, was disabled. After than I changed it, I can starting the VM :wink: , but a black screen persist show me all the time: "Fatal: no bootable medium found! System Halted".

Please, someone have similar problem? Who can I help me? :?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"No bootable medium found" means what it says. You don't have bootable medium mounted in the VM. If you have an ISO, mount it in the VM. If you have a physical DVD, mount the host drive in the VM and insert the DVD. If you want to continue this conversation then provide a VM log file: with the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip, and attach the zip here.