Mini toolbar is hidden behind Aero desktop on Nvidia graphic

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Poul

Mini toolbar is hidden behind Aero desktop on Nvidia graphic

Post by Poul »

Virtualbox 5.0.4 (on both old and new computer)
I have Windows 7 64-bit guest, that I have used for almost 5 years. I have now bought a new computer and moved the VM to that (didn't change any graphics settings).
On the old PC it worked fine, now the VB mini toolbar is invisible, hidden behind the Aero desktop (in full screen).
The Aero desktop keeps painting itself on top of the Z-order, in front of the toolbar and even in front of the secure desktop (when elevating to admin).

4 years ago, I remember having the same issue, only back then it was with an Ati graphics card and back then you got your hands on a pc with that card and FIXED it. Well done! It has worked fine on the old computer ever since.
But, as I said, now I have bought a computer with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M graphics card (popular on gaming notebooks) and the problem is back.
I really prefer fullscreen mode and I also prefer using Aero (disabling Aero disables ALL hardware acceleration).
I tried making a video, but it filters out the VB toolbar, so it doesn't really show anything.

When trying to elevate a command prompt, I had to press Ctrl-alt-del and then cancel to show elevation dialog.
The issue produces no errors, so log files won't help much. As a matter of fact, I tried running the Windows Experience Index test (that Windows 7 thing). It succeded without errors.

I hope you can do, what you did 4 years ago: Get your hands on a notebook with the Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M graphics card (or similar), so can see it for yourself and get a good debugging environment. I'm sure you can fix it.

Poul Bak
Poul

Re: Mini toolbar is hidden behind Aero desktop on Nvidia gra

Post by Poul »

Still the same problem in VB 5.0.6.
w0203j

Re: Mini toolbar is hidden behind Aero desktop on Nvidia gra

Post by w0203j »

Same issue there with Nvidia 560ti on both 5.0.8 and 5.0.10.