Blank screen when showing PowerPoint 2010 presentation

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
avamk

Blank screen when showing PowerPoint 2010 presentation

Post by avamk »

Hello,

I've tried installing and using Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 in fully updated Windows 7 and Windows XP virtual machine guests under Linux and Mac OS X hosts (both running the latest VirtualBox 5), all Guest Additions are installed and running.

The problem is whenever I start playing a presentation, I am only shown a black/blank screen instead of seeing the slides. Is this a known problem? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Blank screen when showing PowerPoint 2010 presentation

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance. As far as the VBox.log.zip goes, here's what you do:
- Start the VM.
- Run your presentation.
- Shut down the VM.
- Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager.
- Select "Show Log..."
- ZIP it and attach it in your response.

My gut feeling is that if you disable 3D acceleration in the guest you will have better results. But we'll need to see the VBox.log.zip first.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
avamk

Post by avamk »

Sorry my bad, I have run the VM again and attached VBox.log.zip with this reply. I started the VM, opened and played a PowerPoint 2010 file which showed a blank screen, then shutdown the VM.

I'll note that the VM I have access to at the moment was running an older version of the Guest Additions, so I updated them to the latest, nevertheless the problem remains. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(24.99 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nothing obvious shows up in the log. Did you try my suggestion to try it with the 3D acceleration disabled? I'm gonna try it with the free PowerPoint Viewer from MS, to see if I can replicate it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
avamk

Post by avamk »

socratis wrote:Did you try my suggestion to try it with the 3D acceleration disabled?
I just did, PowerPoint complained that my "graphics card may not be configured properly for an optimal slideshow experience", but after clicking Yes I was able to play my slides!!

With that said, it would be great to have 3D acceleration available since it should still provide much better performance??
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:I'm gonna try it with the free PowerPoint Viewer from MS, to see if I can replicate it...
OK, I tried it and here's what did(n't) work:
  • WinXP: Does NOT work when 3D is enabled (black screen). Does NOT work when 3D is disabled (app won't even show a window). 2D enabled/disabled does not seem to make a difference.
  • Win7: DOES work when 3D is enabled. Does NOT work when 3D is disabled (app hangs). 2D enabled/disabled does not seem to make a difference.
So, in summary, only Win7 with 3D enabled works. I don't know if it's a limitation of the PowerPoint Viewer, VirtualBox or the presentations that I had available...
avamk wrote:it would be great to have 3D acceleration available since it should still provide much better performance?
I'm not sure that it actually makes the performance "much better". I mean, what kind of performance would you expect from a presentation? I can only imagine "fancy" transitions and animations. Can live without them... ;)
avamk

Post by avamk »

socratis wrote:2D enabled/disabled does not seem to make a difference.
Same here, I guess we'll just have to stick with 3D off in Windows XP, then.
socratis wrote:I'm not sure that it actually makes the performance "much better". I mean, what kind of performance would you expect from a presentation? I can only imagine "fancy" transitions and animations. Can live without them... ;)
Yeah I guess so. :) Fortunately I usually make my presentations with LibreOffice Impress, and Microsoft Office 2010 in a Windows guest is just for testing to make sure everything is in the right place. Thanks for your help!!! Still hope this gets fixed one day...