Windows 10 Display driver

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RudolfHenning

Windows 10 Display driver

Post by RudolfHenning »

Just a quick question. When can we have an actual Windows 10 display driver (for guests)? I find that the 'VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8' still crashes regularly.

I wrote a blog entry a while ago on a temporary fix ( hen.co.za/blog/2015/06/windows-10-in-virtualbox-video-driver-crashes/) but it really should be solved by a proper driver - since the OS is now RTM.

tia
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 Display driver

Post by mpack »

Who is your question aimed at? These are user forums - we know as much about future dev plans as you do.

Of course, it's an open source project - so you could contribute the fix, and then the answer would be "instantly!".

Win10 has only been out a few days. Have a little patience and no doubt such trivial problems will be resolved.
RudolfHenning

Post by RudolfHenning »

Thanks for the reply but surely whoever is doing the development of the VirtualBox display drivers must also check these forums. If not how do we (users) contact these people?

'Trivial' issue?? This is hardly a trivial issue as it affects everything you do on the guest OS. The RTM of W10 might be relatively new but the test versions have been out for like a year giving hardware (or in this case virtual) manufacturers time to create the proper drivers by release date.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Unless you have a support contract, we (users) don't contact those people.

I called the issue trivial because it is clearly a short term bug. By next month it will be forgotten.
RudolfHenning

Post by RudolfHenning »

Ok, lets hope they can resolve this quickly.

Must say, other than this (guest) issue VB on Windows 10 host actually works for me - perhaps I'm lucky seeing how many other have issues with Bridge networking (which actually works for me).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

One minor correction: I called it a short term bug, however that is incorrect. By definition, a bug is a claimed feature that doesn't work correctly. If you check the user manual you'll see that v5 does not claim to support Win10 guests. So let's just say that for now it's an incomplete feature.
VBox 5.0.0 User Manual wrote: Since VirtualBox is designed to provide a generic virtualization environment for x86 systems, it may run operating systems of any kind, even those not listed here. However, the focus is to optimize VirtualBox for the following guest systems:

Windows NT 4.0
All versions, editions and service packs are fully supported; however, there are some issues with older service packs. We recommend to install service pack 6a. Guest Additions are available with a limited feature set.

Windows 2000 / XP / Server 2003 / Vista / Server 2008 / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Server 2012
All versions, editions and service packs are fully supported (including 64-bit versions, under the preconditions listed below). Guest Additions are available.

DOS / Windows 3.x / 95 / 98 / ME
Limited testing has been performed. Use beyond legacy installation mechanisms not recommended. No Guest Additions available.

Linux 2.4
Limited support.

Linux 2.6
All versions/editions are fully supported (32 bits and 64 bits). Guest Additions are available. We strongly recommend using a Linux kernel version 2.6.13 or higher for better performance.
kmwang

Post by kmwang »

Setup the power manager of windows 10: never close display, the display driver no longer crash.
kmwang

Post by kmwang »

It just mean "Windows 10 is not yet officially supported!"
But,when we create a new VM, It has a options of "Windows 10", so, VB experimental support windows 10, and, this is a bug, it is not an incomplete feature.
mpack wrote:One minor correction: I called it a short term bug, however that is incorrect. By definition, a bug is a claimed feature that doesn't work correctly. If you check the user manual you'll see that v5 does not claim to support Win10 guests. So let's just say that for now it's an incomplete feature.
VBox 5.0.0 User Manual wrote: Since VirtualBox is designed to provide a generic virtualization environment for x86 systems, it may run operating systems of any kind, even those not listed here. However, the focus is to optimize VirtualBox for the following guest systems:

Windows NT 4.0
All versions, editions and service packs are fully supported; however, there are some issues with older service packs. We recommend to install service pack 6a. Guest Additions are available with a limited feature set.

Windows 2000 / XP / Server 2003 / Vista / Server 2008 / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Server 2012
All versions, editions and service packs are fully supported (including 64-bit versions, under the preconditions listed below). Guest Additions are available.

DOS / Windows 3.x / 95 / 98 / ME
Limited testing has been performed. Use beyond legacy installation mechanisms not recommended. No Guest Additions available.

Linux 2.4
Limited support.

Linux 2.6
All versions/editions are fully supported (32 bits and 64 bits). Guest Additions are available. We strongly recommend using a Linux kernel version 2.6.13 or higher for better performance.
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

kmwang wrote:Setup the power manager of windows 10: never close display, the display driver no longer crash.
kmwang is correct. The guest display driver crashes whenever Windows 10 turns off the display so change the power setting to stop this from happening.
drossier

Post by drossier »

Even with all power saving energy options disabled in W10, the problem remains on my side.
Furthermore, I'm unable to activate 3D acceleration, W10 crases right after the login.

Please can you help? This a very very annoying problem.
drossier

Post by drossier »

In the meantime, I reduced the number of CPU allocated to the guest from 4 to 2, and so far it seems the display driver has not crashed yet. Does it really make sense?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

drossier wrote:Does it really make sense?
How can we know? You have not provided any information on which to make an assessment. All you've said is that you have a problem.
TimThein

Post by TimThein »

I'm also experiencing the same issue running Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit on a VM with 4 processors, 8GB memory, 128 MB video memory, 2 screens, 2D video acceleration, on a host running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit on a Core i7 vPro with 16GB memory. I also have Power Options set to never turn anything off.

I've found that every time this was occurring, disabling and re-enabling the display driver would get the driver to work again.

Because this issue has been going on for quite some time without resolution, I came up with a workaround:
I'm using the Task Scheduler to execute a script on an event "Log: System, Source: Display, Event ID: 4113".

The script disables and re-enables the display driver and contains only two lines:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64\devcon.exe" disable =display
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64\devcon.exe" enable =display

Devcon comes free in the Microsoft Windows Driver Kit (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... e/hh852365).

I hope this helps others while someone figures out how to fix this issue.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The original problem which the OP complained about was fixed months ago, as predicted. Now it seems to be becoming a place where people come and say "me too" with what has to be a completely unrelated issue (assuming they installed the updated GAs). Time to lock this topic I think.