Shared Folders Oddity

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
AlexB

Shared Folders Oddity

Post by AlexB »

I'm running VBox 5.0 on Windows 8.1 and have created VMs for Windows 7 and Windows 10 release 10240. In both VMs I have installed Visual Basic 6 (VB6).

Everything is working fine except for one strange difference. When running the Windows 7 VM, I can double-click a VB6 project file located on a shared folder and the project will be successfully opened in VB6. However, when I attempt to do the same from the Windows 10 VM, a "Path not found" error is generated.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

AlexB
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared Folders Oddity

Post by mpack »

What leads you to believe you should be reporting that here, instead of to Microsoft? Seeing as how both pieces of software (Win10, VB6 - in fact the network neighborhood stuff too) is theirs?

VB6 is from the Win98 era, right? Best guess is that the VB6 IDE is using an obsolete (possibly 16bit) network API.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Moved to Windows guests.
Windows 10 is not supported at this time, since there is no official release yet. You've confirmed that it works fine in a Windows 7 guest OS, so there is no problem for now.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

AlexB,

Just one thought at this stage (pre-official release of Windows 10): Have you checked that the required File Associations are correctly recorded in your Windows 10 Insider installation? As VB6 was originally designed to install/run on Windows 95/98, there may have been a glitch.

MJA
AlexB

Post by AlexB »

MJA,

Yes, VB6 project files are correctly associated with VB6. On double-clicking a project file, the VB6 IDE opens OK but then the "Path not found" message is displayed.

Thank you for trying to help.

AlexB